TORQUE A cylindrical fishing reel has a mass of 0.65 kg and a radius of 4.3 cm .

In summary, we have a cylindrical fishing reel with a mass of 0.65 kg and a radius of 4.3 cm. The friction clutch in the reel exerts a restraining torque of 1.3 N·m when a fish pulls on the line. The reel begins to spin with an angular acceleration of 66 rad/s^2 when the fisherman gets a bite. Using the equation for rotational inertia (I = 1/2*mr^2), we can find the force of the fish on the line to be 32.1 N. To find the amount of line that unwinds in 0.50 s, we use the equation d = r*theta and solve for d. This gives
lettertwelve
TORQUE A cylindrical fishing reel has a mass of 0.65 kg and a radius of 4.3 cm...

Homework Statement

A cylindrical fishing reel has a mass of 0.65 kg and a radius of 4.3 cm. A friction clutch in the reel exerts a restraining torque of 1.3 N·m if a fish pulls on the line. The fisherman gets a bite, and the reel begins to spin with an angular acceleration of 66 rad/s2.

(a) Find the force of the fish on the line.
______N
(b) Find the amount of line that unwinds in 0.50 s.
______m

The Attempt at a Solution

for the fishing reel, I=m*r^2

Net torque equals I*α
α=66 rad/s^2
I will assume that the torque from the line is at the edge of the radius:
F*4.3/100-1.3=I*66
where F is the force of the fish
F=32.1 N

θ=.5*α*t^2

θ=.5*66*.5^2
8.25 radians
d=2*π*r*θ
=2*3.14*4.3*8.25/100
2.23 m

but it says those answers are wrong. what do i do?

Physics news on Phys.org
lettertwelve said:
for the fishing reel, I=m*r^2
The rotational inertia of a cylinder is [itex](1/2)mr^2[/itex]. (Assuming that it's a solid cylinder.)

Last edited:
Doc Al said:
The rotational inertia of a cylinder is [itex](1/2)mr^2[/itex]. (Assuming that it's a solid cylinder.)

but i don't understand why the second answer is wrong, either

lettertwelve said:
θ=.5*α*t^2

θ=.5*66*.5^2
8.25 radians
So far, so good.
d=2*π*r*θ
No, distance just equals r*θ. (Since theta is in radians.)

Doc Al said:

i'm sorry, i still don't understand...

Doc Al said:
What's the rotational inertia of a solid cylinder? See: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mi.html#cmi"

.5mr^2,
but now looking at my work for part a, i am severly confused...i feel like i skipped a step. can you help me set up part a from the beginning?

Last edited by a moderator:
lettertwelve said:
.5mr^2,
but now looking at my work for part a, i am severly confused...i feel like i skipped a step. can you help me set up part a from the beginning?
I don't see anything wrong with the method you used in part a (except for that moment of inertia).

What do you think you left out?

Doc Al said:
I don't see anything wrong with the method you used in part a (except for that moment of inertia).

What do you think you left out?

I feel i need to rearrange the whole thing, according to the equation you gave me.
So if I=.5mr^2, how would i set it up to that...
I am really confused.
Also I'm partly a perfectionist so i need to start from the beginning hah, just a habit i picked up..

I would set it up exactly as you did:
[tex]\tau_{net} = I \alpha[/tex]

[tex]Fr -\tau_{rest} = I \alpha[/tex]

[tex]Fr = I \alpha + \tau_{rest} = (0.5mr^2) \alpha + \tau_{rest}[/tex]

And so on...

Doc Al said:
I would set it up exactly as you did:
[tex]\tau_{net} = I \alpha[/tex]

[tex]Fr -\tau_{rest} = I \alpha[/tex]

[tex]Fr = I \alpha + \tau_{rest} = (0.5mr^2) \alpha + \tau_{rest}[/tex]

And so on...

using .5mr^2*a*Trest i get 1.34...

lettertwelve said:
using .5mr^2*a*Trest i get 1.34...
For F*r, I presume? Now solve for F.

Doc Al said:
For F*r, I presume? Now solve for F.

it worked out perfectly. thank you!

FAQ: TORQUE A cylindrical fishing reel has a mass of 0.65 kg and a radius of 4.3 cm .

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the twisting force applied to an object. In the context of physics, it is defined as the product of force and the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied.

2. How is torque calculated?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the pivot point to the point of application. In mathematical terms, it can be written as T = F x r, where T is torque, F is force, and r is the distance from the pivot point.

3. How does the mass and radius of an object affect torque?

The mass and radius of an object both play a role in determining the torque. A larger mass will require a larger force to produce the same amount of torque, while a larger radius will require a smaller force to produce the same amount of torque.

4. What is the unit of measurement for torque?

The unit of measurement for torque is Newton-meters (N*m) in the SI system, and foot-pounds (ft-lb) in the imperial system.

5. How does torque relate to a cylindrical fishing reel?

In the context of a cylindrical fishing reel, torque can be used to measure the amount of force needed to turn the reel and reel in a fish. The mass and radius of the reel will affect the torque required to turn it, and a larger torque will result in a faster retrieval rate.