Torque about P (Cross Product?)

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate torque using the given equation and the attempt at a solution using a different method. The expert summarizer emphasizes the importance of setting up a coordinate system and considering the units when calculating torque.
Reefy

Homework Statement

2mnn6l2.png

Homework Equations

The book says that

Torque = the length of the moment arm X the magnitude of the vertical component of F
= r X F

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem is that I don't have any vectors to do a cross product. Instead I tried to just multiply what I know:

50lbs x 9in x sin60° ≈ 389.71ft-lb

which is far from the correct answer, 32.5ft-lb. The problem seemed simple enough so am I making some small mistake or going about this completely wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just because you aren't given any explicit vectors doesn't mean you can't formulate your own.

Looking at the problem, suppose that we set up an x-axis along the wrench.
In this case, vector r is (9,0) inches, with the emphasis on inches

The force vector F is going to be (50 cos (-60), 50 sin (-60)) lbs.

You can then evaluate r x F in the usual manner

Remember: in x lbs is not equal to ft-lbs

Ah, you're right! Thank you, that makes perfect sense.

FAQ: Torque about P (Cross Product?)

1. What is torque about P?

Torque about P, also known as the cross product, is a mathematical operation that involves two vectors and results in a third vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors. It is used to calculate the rotational force or moment acting on an object.

2. How is torque about P calculated?

To calculate torque about P, you need to first find the cross product of the position vector from the pivot point P to the point of application of force and the force vector itself. This can be done using the right-hand rule. The magnitude of the resulting vector is equal to the torque, and its direction is given by the right-hand rule.

3. What is the unit of torque about P?

The unit of torque about P is a combination of the units of force and distance. In the SI system, it is expressed as newton-meters (N*m) or joules (J). In the imperial system, it is expressed as foot-pounds (ft-lb) or inch-pounds (in-lb).

4. How is torque about P related to angular momentum?

Torque about P is directly related to angular momentum. In fact, torque is the rate of change of angular momentum. The greater the torque applied to an object, the faster its angular momentum will change. This relationship is described by the equation torque = rate of change of angular momentum (t = dL/dt).

5. What are some real-life applications of torque about P?

Torque about P has many real-life applications. It is used in various engineering fields, such as mechanical, electrical, and aerospace, to design and analyze machines and structures. It is also used in physics to understand rotational motion and in sports to improve performance, such as in throwing a ball or swinging a bat.

Back