Torque and Rotational Acceleration

In summary, the problem involves a 0.23-kg turntable with a radius of 0.31 m spinning about a vertical axis. It accelerates from 0 to 26 revolutions per second in 8.0 s, and the task is to calculate the torque required for this acceleration. The correct equation to use is τ = α*I, where τ is torque, α is rotational acceleration, and I is the moment of inertia. The moment of inertia for a disc can be found by looking it up or using a formula. Additionally, to avoid accumulation of rounding errors, an extra significant digit should be kept when using intermediate numerical results.
xxphysics

Homework Statement

A 0.23-kg turntable of radius 0.31 m spins about a vertical axis through its center. A constant rotational acceleration causes the turntable to accelerate from 0 to 26 revolutions per second in8.0 s.

Calculate the torque required to cause this acceleration.

Homework Equations

τ = α*m*r^2
where τ is torque, α is rotational acceleration, m is mass, and r is the radius.

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I got the first portion of the question right which was to find α (20 s^-2), then I plugged the rest of the numbers into the equation and got τ = 20*0.23*0.31*0.31 = 0.44 but this was wrong. Where am I going wrong ? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation you are using is only applicable to a point mass ##m##, situated at distance ##r## from the axis of rotation. This problem is about a disc, not a point mass.
You need to calculate the moment of inertia of the disc that is the turntable.
If you don't have a formula, you could look up 'list of moments of inertia' on Wikipedia.

Likes xxphysics
Andrew has identified the major error, but there is also a minor one. When using an intermediate numerical result as input to the next stage (the angular acceleration in this case) you should keep an extra significant digit to avoid accumulation of rounding errors.

Related to Torque and Rotational Acceleration

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the turning force on an object. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. In rotational motion, torque is caused by an applied force acting at a distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How is torque calculated?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation. The formula for torque is: T = F x d x sin(theta), where T is torque, F is the applied force, d is the distance from the axis of rotation, and theta is the angle between the applied force and the lever arm.

3. What is the relationship between torque and rotational acceleration?

Torque and rotational acceleration are directly proportional to each other. This means that as torque increases, rotational acceleration also increases. This relationship is described by Newton's second law for rotational motion: T = I x alpha, where T is torque, I is the moment of inertia, and alpha is the angular acceleration.

4. How does the distribution of mass affect torque?

The distribution of mass affects torque by changing the moment of inertia. The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion, and it is affected by the mass distribution. Objects with more mass distributed towards the axis of rotation have a lower moment of inertia and require less torque to rotate, while objects with more mass distributed away from the axis of rotation have a higher moment of inertia and require more torque to rotate.

5. What are some real-life applications of torque and rotational acceleration?

Torque and rotational acceleration are important in many everyday activities and technologies. They are used in car engines to generate rotational motion, in wrenches to tighten bolts, and in sports equipment like golf clubs and baseball bats. In addition, torque and rotational acceleration are key concepts in the study of mechanical engineering and physics, and are used in the design of many machines and structures.