Torque caused by/due to a galaxy's spin

In summary, the conversation revolved around galaxies, orbits, black holes, and the concept of torque. The question of what causes the spin of a galaxy and how to find the torque of a spinning galaxy was raised. It was theorized that gravitational waves and collisions between galaxies can result in a transfer of angular momentum, causing torque. Additionally, it was mentioned that the interaction between different parts of galaxies can also contribute to their spin.
seroth
Well today in class, we were talking about galaxies and orbits and the radius of black holese and how every black hole is at the center of a galaxy. Then i got to thinking, what causes the spin of a galaxy, and this led me to thinking, is there a way to find out the torque of a spinning galaxy? I'm sure it would have to do with force and angular momentum of each galaxy, but I couldn't seem to find any of this information.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
seroth said:
Well today in class, we were talking about galaxies and orbits and the radius of black holese and how every black hole is at the center of a galaxy. Then i got to thinking, what causes the spin of a galaxy, and this led me to thinking, is there a way to find out the torque of a spinning galaxy? I'm sure it would have to do with force and angular momentum of each galaxy, but I couldn't seem to find any of this information.

Torque is about the transfer of angular momentum per unit time. Gravitational waves can cause distant objects to move in different paths. Theoretically, galaxies can produce a torque on each other, especially if they collide. There's a star escaping our galaxy right now because it has swung very close to a black hole. That's an extreme example of the galaxy's torque in action.

A galaxy doesn't have any torque in of itself. Parts of our galaxy interact with parts of other galaxies, transferring parts of spin as result of their palpitations. They cause pressures waves like jellyfish in the sea.

Last edited:

FAQ: Torque caused by/due to a galaxy's spin

1. What is torque caused by a galaxy's spin?

Torque caused by a galaxy's spin is the twisting force that is generated by the rotation of a galaxy. This torque is a result of the distribution of mass and the angular momentum of the galaxy.

2. How does torque affect a galaxy's shape?

Torque caused by a galaxy's spin can cause the galaxy to flatten into a disk shape. This is because the torque acts perpendicular to the axis of rotation, causing the galaxy's gas and stars to align in a flat, disk-like structure.

3. Is torque responsible for the formation of spiral arms in galaxies?

While torque does play a role in the formation of spiral arms, it is not the only factor. The gravitational interactions between different parts of the galaxy, as well as the effects of gas and dust, also contribute to the formation and maintenance of spiral arms.

4. Can changes in a galaxy's torque affect its evolution?

Yes, changes in a galaxy's torque can have a significant impact on its evolution. For example, if the torque is increased, it can lead to a more rapid formation of stars and a higher rate of star formation. Conversely, a decrease in torque can slow down a galaxy's evolution.

5. How do scientists measure the torque caused by a galaxy's spin?

Scientists use a variety of methods to measure the torque caused by a galaxy's spin, including observing the distribution of stars and gas, studying the motion of stars and gas within the galaxy, and analyzing the galaxy's rotation curve. They also use computer simulations to model and understand the effects of torque on galaxy evolution.