Torque for forcing a ball through two wheels

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of designing a tennis ball machine using two counter-rotating wheels. The wheels are 4" in diameter and the balls are between 2.575 and 2.7" in diameter. The calculation of torque using the equations for torque and horsepower is being discussed, with the conclusion that the calculated torque values seem either too high or too low.
feedme

Homework Statement

There's not a given problem statement exactly, it's part of a project I have. I'm designing a tennis ball machine to throw balls out using two counter-rotating wheels. The wheels are 4" in diameter, the balls are between 2.575 and 2.7 " in diameter, the wheels are 1", and it takes 87.050 lbf to compress those balls by 1"

Homework Equations

I know Torque is F * distance, and there's also H = Tn/63025, where H = hp, n = rpm, T = torque in lbf-in

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been trying to calculate the torque needed to spin these wheels and such, but either the torque I'm getting is very very high, or I'm using the equations wrong.

My professor said that Tmotor = I*alpha + Tball, where Tball was F*(.5*gap)*radius
Just finding Tball is 87.050 lbf*(.5)*(4") which gives 174 lbf-in, seems way too high.

Physics news on Phys.org
In my other attempt, I used the equation H = Tn/63025 to try and solve for torque. I know it'll be spinning at around 450rpm, and I estimated the horsepower needed to be 1hp. So I set up the equation as 1 = T*450/63025, giving T = 14 lbf-in. Again, this seems way too low. Am I using the equations wrong, or is there something else I'm missing? Thanks in advance.

Related to Torque for forcing a ball through two wheels

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the twisting force applied to an object. It is typically measured in newton-meters (Nm) and is a combination of force and distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How is torque used to force a ball through two wheels?

In order to force a ball through two wheels, torque is applied to the wheels, causing them to rotate and generate a force. This force is then transferred to the ball, pushing it through the wheels.

3. What factors affect the torque required to force a ball through two wheels?

The torque required to force a ball through two wheels is affected by several factors, including the weight and size of the ball, the friction between the ball and the wheels, and the speed at which the wheels are rotating.

4. How can torque be increased to improve the efficiency of forcing a ball through two wheels?

To increase the torque for forcing a ball through two wheels, you can either increase the force applied to the wheels or increase the distance from the axis of rotation at which the force is applied. This can be achieved by using a longer lever arm or increasing the speed at which the wheels are rotating.

5. What are some real-world applications of torque for forcing a ball through two wheels?

Torque is used in many real-world applications, such as in cars to generate rotational force and power the wheels, in machines to lift heavy objects, and in sports such as football and baseball to throw or kick a ball with more force and accuracy.