Torque from straight wire segment

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a straight wire segment carrying a current in the presence of a magnetic field. The force and torque on the wire are calculated using vector notation, and the final answer is obtained by taking the cross product of the wire's position and the differential force. The final answer for the torque is confirmed to be correct after further discussion.
DrIxn

Homework Statement

A straight wire segment of length L makes an angle of 21.0 degrees with respect to the x axis. The wire carries a current of 4.10 A in the direction shown in the figure. There is a magnetic field in the vicinity of the wire which points in the negative z direction with a magnitude given by B=B0(x/L)^3, where B0=3.80 T and L=4.91 m.

What is the force in the y direction from the magnetic field?

If the wire can rotate freely about the z axis what is the magnitude of the torque?

Homework Equations

dF=Idl x B

Torque= r x F

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the magnetic force using the first equation

dF=IdL x B and since B is with respect to x i simplified the cross product to dx

dF=Icos(theta)dx B

And plugged in the equation for B and integrated from 0 to L*cos(theta)

Now for the torque I thought back and if you have the wire laying across the x-axis or at least the xz plane and applied a force in the positive y direction you would be rotating about the z axis so i did r x F with the F from the previous answer and r= L*cos(theta). Is that incorrect?

Physics news on Phys.org
You didn't show the drawing so I'll assume the wire runs from, and pivots at, the origin.

You haven't shown enough math detail for me to trace your steps so I'll just give you my way of approaching the problem.

If you write out the vectors in vector notation it makes things easier (at least for me):

dF = I dl x B
dl = dx i + dy j
B = -B0 (x/L)^3 k
dτ = dl x F,

all vectors in bold.

Can you write dy = (constant) dx to eliminate dy?

Then you can formally use vector math from then on. All integrations will be with respect to x only.

I tried it your way(dont know how to make the vectors bold):

tan(theta)=dy/dx

I used dl= dx i + tan(theta) dx j
So when I took the cross product i got dF=-(I*B0*tan(theta)/(4*L^3))*x^3 dx i + (I*B0/(4*L^3))*x^3 dx j

And Integrated that from 0 to L*cos(theta) so
F= -(I*B0*tan(theta)*L*cos^4(theta)/4) i + (I*B0*L*cos^4(theta)/4) j

this is the same answer that I got (though I only calculated the y component)
To simplify writing it the Fi(magnitude)=5.576 N for the i component and Fj=14.53 N for the j component
Now for the torque:
dl= dx i + tan(theta) dx j

F=Fi i + Fj j

So crossing those two you end up with just the k vector

(Fj dx + Fi tan(theta) dx) k
Went ahead and used the fact that Fi is negative here

So again integrate (Fj+Fi*tan(theta) dx from 0 to L*cos(theta)
= Fj+Fi*tan(theta)*L*cos(theta)= L*(Fj*cos(theta)+Fi*sin(theta))

Numerically I got 76.41 N*m, still not the right answer

Last edited:
DrIxn said:
I tried it your way(dont know how to make the vectors bold):

Select "Go Advanced" & use the "B" on the toolbar.

I need to leave for about 1 hr but will try to follow your work which basically looks right.

Your F is the same as mine.
Let a = tan(dy/dx) = tan(theta) where theta = 21 deg.

Define F = Fx i + Fy j. Note that Fx < 0, we both got that.

I question how you obtained torque τ. Did you perform

dτ = (dx i + a dx j) x (Fy j + Fx i) correctly? Did you wind up with

dτ = (Fydx - aFxdy) k ?

You had a sin(theta) term in there & I didn't.

Thanks for your help rude man, I ended up crossing r x dF to get the answer, not dr x F

DrIxn said:
Thanks for your help rude man, I ended up crossing r x dF to get the answer, not dr x F

You are right. I wish I could say that was a typo on my part but it wasn't.

Differential amount of force along the wire is dF = I dl x B and
dτ = l x dF.

Good catch!

Related to Torque from straight wire segment

1. What is torque from a straight wire segment?

Torque from a straight wire segment is a measure of the twisting force that is applied to an object when a straight wire is wrapped around it.

2. How is torque from a straight wire segment calculated?

To calculate torque from a straight wire segment, you need to know the force applied to the wire, the distance from the axis of rotation, and the angle between the force and the wire. The formula for torque is T = F * d * sin(theta), where T is torque, F is force, d is distance, and theta is the angle.

3. What factors affect the torque from a straight wire segment?

The torque from a straight wire segment is affected by the magnitude of the force applied, the distance from the axis of rotation, and the angle between the force and the wire. Additionally, the material and diameter of the wire can also affect the torque.

4. How is torque from a straight wire segment used in real-world applications?

Torque from a straight wire segment is used in various real-world applications, such as in mechanical systems and machines that require rotational force. It is also used in the construction of tools, such as wrenches and screws, to provide a twisting force for tightening or loosening objects.

5. Can torque from a straight wire segment be negative?

Yes, torque from a straight wire segment can be negative if the force and the distance are in opposite directions. This indicates that the wire is causing a counter-clockwise rotation instead of a clockwise rotation. Negative torque can also be caused by a negative angle between the force and the wire.