Torque needed to mantain a disk rotating

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the torque needed for maintaining 2 vertical disks at 300rpm, taking into account 3 bearings with a hypothetical friction torque of 0.5Nm. It is mentioned that starting the disks requires more torque than maintaining them at a constant speed. The conversation also touches on the speed-dependent nature of friction and suggests looking into common models for further understanding. Finally, a potential solution is proposed, involving calculating the moment of inertia and angular acceleration of the disks.
Cuervo
Hello, first post!

I'd apreciate some help on finding out the calculus for knowing the motor's torque needed for mantaining 2 vertical disks ø46cm, 30kg each at 300rpm, taking into acount 3 generic bearings friction that hypotetically is 0.5Nm friction torque

I'm having some trouble trying to figure it out, cause I see that for starting it up needs much more torque than for maintaining it turning at that speed, anyways I can give it a hand and start it by giving it some push, but what I'm looking for now is for the late torque needed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
The torque needed to maintain the motion depends on the friction and other losses in the motion - alone.
Per your information, that would be 0.5Nm - which will be the kinetic friction perhaps.
Starting up you need to overcome the static friction, which is usually much higher.

IRL the friction will be speed dependent... so you start off with the torque to overcome static friction, which is more than enough to overcome kinetic friction so the disks accelerate ... but the kinetic friction increases with speed (though it may initially decrease as the lubricant warms up and gets less sticky) until it is equal to the applied torque and you maintain a constant speed from there.

That should help you understand what you are seeing... then you can look up the references for common models that may help you. What you actually use depends on the specifics of your requirements.

i.e.
Tedric A. Harris, Michael N. Kotzalas Essential Concepts of Bearing Technology, 5th Ed. ch10.5
(probably overkill - most people would use the steady-state number for NOC.)

Last edited:
I'd apreciate some help on finding out the calculus for knowing the motor's torque needed for mantaining 2 vertical disks ø46cm, 30kg each at 300rpm, taking into acount 3 generic bearings friction that hypotetically is 0.5Nm friction torque

If there was no friction then no torque (or power) would be required to maintain a constant rpm. To maintain a constant rpm the motor only has to overcome friction. Is that 0.5Nm per bearing? If so the answer to the question is just 3 * 0.5 = 1.5Nm.

The torque required to accelerate is:

Tmotor = (Moment of Inertia * angular acceleration) + Tfriction

So you need to work out the moment of inertia of your discs and the angular acceleration required (in Rads/S2).

Edit: Cross posted with Simon.

Related to Torque needed to mantain a disk rotating

1. What is torque and how does it relate to rotating disks?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object. In the context of rotating disks, torque is the force that is needed to maintain the disk's rotational motion.

2. How is the torque needed to maintain a rotating disk calculated?

The torque needed to maintain a rotating disk can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to the disk by the radius at which the force is applied. This is known as the torque formula: torque = force x radius.

3. What factors affect the torque needed to maintain a rotating disk?

The torque needed to maintain a rotating disk is affected by the mass of the disk, the speed of rotation, and the friction between the disk and its surroundings. Additionally, the moment of inertia of the disk, which is a measure of its resistance to rotation, also affects the torque needed.

4. How does the torque needed to maintain a rotating disk change with different disk sizes?

The torque needed to maintain a rotating disk increases as the size of the disk increases. This is because a larger disk has a greater moment of inertia, which requires more torque to overcome.

5. How does the torque needed to maintain a rotating disk change with different rotational speeds?

The torque needed to maintain a rotating disk increases as the rotational speed increases. This is because the faster the disk is rotating, the greater the force required to maintain its motion due to the increased centrifugal force acting on the disk.