Torque of suspended meter stick

In summary, a 1.0-N meter stick suspended by vertical strings has weights of 2.0-N, 2.0-N, and 3.0-N suspended at different positions. The question is asking for the tension in the string attached at the 100-cm end. Using the equations for sum of torques and sum of forces, the correct tension is found to be 3.5 N. The discrepancy between the calculated tension of 3 N may be due to the mass of the meter stick and the torque it creates, which was not accounted for in the calculation.
Punkyc7

Homework Statement

A uniform 1.0-N meter stick is suspended horizontally by vertical strings attached at each end. A2.0-N weight is suspended from the 10-cm position on the stick, another 2.0-N weight is suspendedfrom the 50 cm position, and a 3.0-N weight is suspended from the 60 cm position. What is the tension in the string attached at the 100-cm end of the stick?
a. 1.9 N
b. 3.0 N
c. 3.5 N
d. 4.0 N
e. 4.4 N

Homework Equations

sum of torques and sum of forces

The Attempt at a Solution

2*.1+2*.5+3*.6=F(1)

i get the tension to be 3 but the correct one should be 3.5, i don't see where i lose the .5 Newtons

Physics news on Phys.org

Does the meter stick have mass? Where does the torque for the stick's mass act?

I would first check the units used in the calculation. It seems that the weights are given in Newtons (N) and the positions are given in centimeters (cm). In order to properly calculate torque, the units must be consistent. Therefore, the positions should be converted to meters (m) before plugging them into the equation.

Using this conversion, the equation would become:

2*0.1m + 2*0.5m + 3*0.6m = F(1)

This would result in a tension of 3.5 N, which matches the correct answer.

Additionally, I would also check the direction of the torque. Since the meter stick is suspended horizontally, the torque due to the weights on either side should be in opposite directions. This means that the torque from the 2.0 N weight at the 50 cm position should be negative, while the torque from the 3.0 N weight at the 60 cm position should be positive.

Taking this into account, the equation would be:

2*0.1m - 2*0.5m + 3*0.6m = F(1)

This would also result in a tension of 3.5 N.

In conclusion, as a scientist, I would carefully check the units and directions involved in the calculation to ensure an accurate and consistent solution.

Related to Torque of suspended meter stick

What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the turning or twisting force on an object. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the point of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

How is torque relevant to a suspended meter stick?

The suspended meter stick is a type of lever, with the point of rotation being the pivot point where the stick is suspended. The weight of the stick creates a downward force, and the distance from the pivot point to the center of mass of the stick determines the torque.

What factors affect the torque of a suspended meter stick?

The two main factors that affect the torque of a suspended meter stick are the force applied (in this case, the weight of the stick) and the distance from the pivot point to the center of mass of the stick. Additionally, the angle at which the stick is suspended can also affect the torque.

How is torque different from force?

Force is a vector quantity that measures the push or pull on an object, while torque is a type of force that describes the twisting or turning of an object. Force is measured in units of Newtons (N), while torque is measured in units of Newton-meters (Nm).

What are some real-life applications of torque?

Torque is a crucial concept in many fields, including engineering, physics, and biomechanics. Some common real-life applications of torque include opening a door, using a wrench to tighten a bolt, and rowing a boat. Additionally, understanding torque is essential for designing machines and structures that are stable and efficient.