Torque on a coil in a magnetic field

In summary: The main focus of this question is finding the minimum current required to prevent the cylinder from rolling down the inclined plane. This is found by setting the torque due to gravity equal to the torque due to the magnetic field. This is consistent because both torques are measured with respect to the same reference point, the intersection between the cylinder and the inclined plane. In summary, the problem gives a scenario of a cylinder with a wire rolled around it, placed on an inclined plane and under a magnetic field. The goal is to find the minimum current needed to prevent the cylinder from rolling down the plane. Using the torque equations for gravity and the magnetic field, the current is found to be 1.63 A, with the assumption that there is enough friction to
pc2-brazil

Homework Statement

A cylinder with mass m = 262 g and length L = 12.7 cm has a wire longitudinally rolled up around it, such that the rolling plane, with N = 13 turns, contains the axis of the cylinder and is parallel to a plane which has an inclination θ with the horizontal. The cylinder is on this inclined plane, and the set is under an uniform magnetic field, of 477 mT. What is the smallest current which must go through the coil, such that the cylinder doesn't roll down?
See the attached picture for more information [it is scanned from "Physics", Vol. 3, by Halliday, Resnick and Krane, Brazilian edition].

Homework Equations

Torque on a coil with N turns (or loops):
[tex]\tau = NiAB\sin{\theta}[/tex]
where i is the current flowing through the coil, A is the area of one loop, B is the magnitude of the magnetic field and θ is the angle between the vector normal to the coil's plane and the magnetic field vector.

The Attempt at a Solution

The intersection between the cylinder and the inclined plane is a line. The torque due to gravity with respect to the contact points is:
[tex]\tau_g = mgr\sin\theta[/tex]
With respect to the center of mass of the cylinder, the torque due to the magnetic field, when there is a current i flowing through the coil, is:
[tex]\tau_B = NiAB\sin\theta = Ni(2rL)B\sin\theta[/tex]
and tends to make the cylinder roll up.
For the net torque to be zero, the torques due to the magnetic field and gravity must have equal magnitudes:
[tex]mgr\sin\theta = Ni(2rL)B\sin\theta[/tex]
[tex]mg = 2NiLB[/tex]
[tex]i = \frac{mg}{2NLB}[/tex]
Plugging in the values, I obtain i = 1.63 A, which is the book's answer.
However, I'm not very sure about this solution. My doubts are:
1) It appears that there shouldn't be any rolling in the first place, since there is no mention of friction. I thought that friction with the inclined plane, and not weight, would be the cause of rolling. Weight and no friction would cause the cylinder to simply slide.
2) I used two different reference points in order to measure the torques. Nevertheless, I got to the answer by equaling their values. But this doesn't seem very consistent; why does it work? In order to be equaled, shouldn't the torques be measured with respect to the same reference point?

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• fig.jpg
    fig.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 622
Physics news on Phys.org
While you are right that friction is required for rolling I think you will have to let this little error in the question go.

Related to Torque on a coil in a magnetic field

What is torque on a coil in a magnetic field?

Torque on a coil in a magnetic field is the rotational force experienced by a coil of wire when placed in a magnetic field. It is a result of the interaction between the magnetic field and the current flowing through the coil.

How is torque on a coil in a magnetic field calculated?

The torque on a coil in a magnetic field can be calculated using the formula: T = N x I x B x A x sin(theta), where N is the number of turns in the coil, I is the current flowing through the coil, B is the strength of the magnetic field, A is the area of the coil, and theta is the angle between the direction of the current and the magnetic field.

What factors affect the torque on a coil in a magnetic field?

The torque on a coil in a magnetic field is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the current flowing through the coil, the number of turns in the coil, and the angle between the direction of the current and the magnetic field.

What is the significance of torque on a coil in a magnetic field?

Torque on a coil in a magnetic field is important in various applications, such as electric motors, generators, and transformers. It allows for the conversion of electrical energy to mechanical energy and vice versa.

How can torque on a coil in a magnetic field be increased?

To increase the torque on a coil in a magnetic field, one can increase the strength of the magnetic field, increase the current flowing through the coil, or increase the number of turns in the coil.