Torque on a coil of wire in a magnetic field.

In summary, a rectangular coil with 120 turns and dimensions of 10 cm by 15 cm is placed in a uniform magnetic field of 2.6 T at an angle of 33 degrees. The magnitude of the torque on the coil is calculated using the equation Torque = (B)(I)(L)(W)sin(theta), where L and W are the dimensions of the coil. Since there are 120 turns, the total torque is 120 times the torque for one loop. The meaning of "1.z A" is unclear.
SherlockOhms

Homework Statement

A rectangular coil has 120 turns of wire and is of dimensions 10 cm by 15 cm. The coil is placed in a uniform magnetic field B= 2.6 T such that the field lines make an angle of 33 degrees with the direction normal to the coil.
Calculate the magnitude of the torque on the coil if a current of 1.z A flows through it.

Homework Equations

Torque = (B)(I)(L)(W)sin(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really sure what to do with the dimensions and turns. L is the length of the loop and W is the width. How do I use the information of the 120 turns to find L and W to fit the above equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
L and W are the dimensions of the loop given in the statement of the problem. Your formula is for one turn of wire (i.e., one loop). You have 120 turns. So, how does that affect the total torque?

So, 120 times the torque for one loop?

Sounds very reasonable to me, since each loop experiences the same amount of torque.:smile:

Also, what is the meaning of "1.z A"?

rude man said:
Also, what is the meaning of "1.z A"?

I don't know. Could the "z" be a misprint? EDIT: oops! I thought this question was from the OP.

Related to Torque on a coil of wire in a magnetic field.

1. What is torque on a coil of wire in a magnetic field?

Torque on a coil of wire in a magnetic field is the force that causes the coil to rotate when placed in a magnetic field. It is a measure of the twisting or turning effect on the coil.

2. How is torque on a coil of wire in a magnetic field calculated?

The torque on a coil of wire in a magnetic field is calculated by multiplying the force exerted on the coil by the distance between the force and the center of the coil. This can be expressed as T = F x r, where T is torque, F is force, and r is the distance.

3. What factors affect the torque on a coil of wire in a magnetic field?

The torque on a coil of wire in a magnetic field is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the current in the wire, the number of turns in the coil, and the angle between the coil and the magnetic field. Additionally, the shape and size of the coil can also affect the torque.

4. How can torque on a coil of wire in a magnetic field be increased?

To increase the torque on a coil of wire in a magnetic field, the strength of the magnetic field can be increased, the current in the wire can be increased, or the angle between the coil and the magnetic field can be changed. Additionally, increasing the number of turns in the coil or changing the shape and size of the coil can also increase the torque.

5. What is the application of torque on a coil of wire in a magnetic field?

Torque on a coil of wire in a magnetic field has various applications, including in electric motors, generators, and speakers. It is also used in devices such as galvanometers, which are used to measure small electric currents.

Back