Torque on a Pulley Homework: Find Speed & Average Torque

In summary, the homework assignment involves finding the speed and average torque on a pulley. This requires understanding the concept of torque and how it relates to rotational motion, as well as applying mathematical calculations to determine the values. The speed of the pulley can be found by dividing the distance traveled by the time taken, while the average torque can be calculated by dividing the net force applied by the radius of the pulley. These calculations are essential in understanding the motion and mechanics of pulleys and their applications in various machines and systems.
veronicak5678

Homework Statement

Two paint buckets, initially at rest, are connected by a lightwieght rope which is wrapped over a pulley which has a mass 2 kg and a radius of .5 m. Only conservative forces do work.
Mass A is 4 kg and starts on the ground. Mass B is 6 kg and starts 5 m above the ground.
a- Find the speed at which the top bucket hits the ground.
b- What was the average torque on the pulley?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a - 4.22 m/s
b- Using torque = (tension 1 - tension 2) r, I get 9.8 N for net torque. Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
veronicak5678 said:

Homework Statement

Two paint buckets, initially at rest, are connected by a lightwieght rope which is wrapped over a pulley which has a mass 2 kg and a radius of .5 m. Only conservative forces do work.
Mass A is 4 kg and starts on the ground. Mass B is 6 kg and starts 5 m above the ground.
a- Find the speed at which the top bucket hits the ground.
b- What was the average torque on the pulley?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a - 4.22 m/s
b- Using torque = (tension 1 - tension 2) r, I get 9.8 N for net torque. Is this correct?

Because the pulley has mass and hence moment of inertia, your acceleration won't be entirely just the difference in the paint buckets accelerating just the paint buckets. There is also the increase in angular kinetic energy that goes into the pulley.

So how do I account for that in the equation? Should I add 1/2 Iω^2?

veronicak5678 said:
So how do I account for that in the equation? Should I add 1/2 Iω^2?

Yes. You could approach it from the point of view of kinetic energy of the buckets and changes in potential energy and the change in kinetic energy of the pulley and noting along the way that ω is equal to v/r.

or the acceleration = (driving force)/(Inertia) will work quite well, giving you the tension in both strings (which will be unequal, since the pulley has mass) :)

I don't know how to use these equation in a system like this. For example, do I need to focus on 1 mass? In the term for initial potential, only one has initial potential. How do I find info about the pulley using this?

Kf + Uf + RKf = Ki + Ui + Rki

i think that applying force dynamics and rotational dynamics will make this problem easier.

veronicak5678 said:
I don't know how to use these equation in a system like this. For example, do I need to focus on 1 mass? In the term for initial potential, only one has initial potential. How do I find info about the pulley using this?

Kf + Uf + RKf = Ki + Ui + Rki

Well that equation certainly would work.

What is the initial KE then? 0 right? And same for Rotational KE. For PE the initial is the m*g*h of the 6kg bucket.

For final KE you have the masses of the two buckets in motion at some velocity and your rotational KE related by v/r and you have the 4 kg bucket with its m*g*h when the heavier bucket touches down.

So I don't consider the mass of the pulley in the Kf term? Should it just be .5 ( 6 + 4 kg) vf^2? And the info about the pulley is only used in the RKf term?

veronicak5678 said:
So I don't consider the mass of the pulley in the Kf term? Should it just be .5 ( 6 + 4 kg) vf^2? And the info about the pulley is only used in the RKf term?

The pulley is the one rotating.

The buckets are the ones with mv2/2.

You just have to account for the energy wherever it is. That after all is what's conserved isn't it?

OK, I plugged that al in and found ω = 8.49 m/s. Using I ω= τ , I end up with τ = 18.02. Does this look right?

Last edited:
veronicak5678 said:
OK, I plugged that al in and found ω = 8.49 m/s. How do I use this to find average torque?

They asked you for v in part a) didn't they? Not ω.

As for Torque isn't that merely Net force * radius?

So the answer is incorrect? I would rather use I ω= τ and not find all the separate forces.

veronicak5678 said:
OK, I plugged that al in and found ω = 8.49 m/s. Using I ω= τ , I end up with τ = 18.02. Does this look right?

I ω= is not torque. That's Angular momentum sometimes written as L.

I * α = τ

Argh! Thanks for being so patient. So I can't find α without time. I can't find time without rotations. So I do need to find all the forces. Would that be -pulley weight - mass1 weight - mass 2 weight + tension 1 + tension 2?

veronicak5678 said:
Argh! Thanks for being so patient. So I can't find α without time. I can't find time without rotations. So I do need to find all the forces. Would that be -pulley weight - mass1 weight - mass 2 weight + tension 1 + tension 2?

If you wanted to find α that's a/r and a can be found by V2 = 2*a*x = 2*5*a

So take your answer from part a) square it and divide by 10 and that will be a.

Oh! So I alpha = I (a/r) = torque
3.56*.25 = .89

torque = .89 Nm

Related to Torque on a Pulley Homework: Find Speed & Average Torque

1. What is torque on a pulley?

Torque on a pulley is the measure of the rotational force applied to the pulley. It is the product of the force applied and the distance from the center of the pulley to the point where the force is applied.

2. How do you calculate the speed of a pulley?

To calculate the speed of a pulley, you need to know the radius of the pulley and the rotational speed. The formula for speed is speed = 2πr x rotational speed, where r is the radius of the pulley and 2π is a constant value for the circumference of a circle.

3. What is average torque?

Average torque is the measure of the average rotational force applied to a pulley over a period of time. It is calculated by dividing the total torque by the number of rotations.

4. How do you find the speed of a pulley using average torque?

To find the speed of a pulley using average torque, you first need to calculate the average torque using the formula mentioned earlier. Then, you can use the formula for speed to calculate the rotational speed of the pulley.

5. What are the units of torque and speed?

The units of torque are typically newton-meters (N·m) or foot-pounds (ft·lbs). The units of speed are typically revolutions per minute (RPM) or radians per second (rad/s).