Torque on two pillars (introductory physics problem)

In summary, the conversation involves determining the downward force applied to each pillar of a bridge and the tricky aspect of torque coming into play. The formula for moment balance is discussed, with clarification on the terms F, r, and theta in the equation T=Fsin(theta)r. The next step involves choosing the body and axis for applying the formula.
Camden
Homework Statement
A bridge section of mass 2400kg is supported at each end of its 24.0m length by pillars. A car of mass 960kg is parked 5.00m from one end of the bridge.
Relevant Equations
F=ma
T=Fsin(theta)r
One image is attached is the question and the other is my attempt. I believe the pillars would have a downward force of 11760N applied to each pillar since they are spaced an equal distance apart. Now the tricky bit is when Torque comes into play. I believe I need to find the distance the car sits from the centre of the bridges mass. I am unsure how to do that though.

Attachments

• IMG_1600.jpg
    IMG_1600.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_1601.jpg
    IMG_1601.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 88
Physics news on Phys.org
Camden said:
I believe the pillars would have a downward force of 11760N applied to each pillar since they are spaced an equal distance apart.
My neck hurts, perhaps because the pictures are rotated ?

Your belief is not justified. If the car is on top of one of the pillars, would its weight be distributed equally over the two ?

##\ ##

Likes Lnewqban
Camden said:
since they are spaced an equal distance apart
from what?

haruspex said:
from what?
From each other

BvU said:
My neck hurts, perhaps because the pictures are rotated ?

Your belief is not justified. If the car is on top of one of the pillars, would its weight be distributed equally over the two ?

##\ ##
I believe the pillar the car is almost directly underneath will experience more weight from the car.

Camden said:
From each other
How can two objects not be at the same distance from each other??

Much better. Any useful formula for the fraction (perhaps derived from an applicable condition for equilibrium of the horizontal section that rests on the pillars) ?

## \ ##

Camden said:
I believe the pillar the car is almost directly underneath will experience more weight from the car.
The car is above the pillars, not underneath them.
But yes, the pillar nearer the car will experience the greater load.
Use moment balance to find out how much.

haruspex said:
The car is above the pillars, not underneath them.
But yes, the pillar nearer the car will experience the greater load.
Use moment balance to find out how much.
Are there any other phrases that mean the same as Moment balance? I have not been taught that particular word before.

BvU said:
Much better. Any useful formula for the fraction (perhaps derived from an applicable condition for equilibrium of the horizontal section that rests on the pillars) ?

## \ ##
So I believe the net Torque should be zero. I am unsure which formula I should be deriving from.

Camden said:
Are there any other phrases that mean the same as Moment balance? I have not been taught that particular word before.
Moment is another word for torque, and balance means the net value is zero.

Camden said:
So I believe the net Torque should be zero. I am unsure which formula I should be deriving from.
You quoted T=Fsin(theta)r. Do you understand what F, r and θ are in that equation?

haruspex said:
You quoted T=Fsin(theta)r. Do you understand what F, r and θ are in that equation?
Yes I do,
F= Force applied
r= Distance force is being applied from
theta= angle at which the force is being applied
So is my first step 0= Fsin(theta)r ?

Camden said:
Yes I do,
F= Force applied
r= Distance force is being applied from
theta= angle at which the force is being applied
So is my first step 0= Fsin(theta)r ?
Yes, but you need to choose the body you are applying it to and the axis about which you are taking moments.
And to clarify, theta is the angle between the line of action of the force and the line along which you are measuring r.

Related to Torque on two pillars (introductory physics problem)

What is torque, and how is it calculated?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object. It is calculated using the formula τ = r × F × sin(θ), where τ is the torque, r is the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied, F is the magnitude of the force, and θ is the angle between the force vector and the lever arm.

How do you determine the pivot point in a torque problem involving two pillars?

The pivot point is typically chosen at one of the pillars to simplify calculations. By choosing one pillar as the pivot, the torque due to the force at that pillar becomes zero, allowing you to solve for the unknowns using the remaining forces and torques acting on the system.

What role do the two pillars play in a torque problem?

In a torque problem involving two pillars, the pillars provide support and create reaction forces that counteract the applied forces. These reaction forces generate torques that must be considered to ensure the system is in equilibrium, both translationally and rotationally.

How do you set up the equations for solving a torque problem with two pillars?

To solve a torque problem with two pillars, you need to set up two types of equations: one for the sum of forces and one for the sum of torques. The sum of all vertical forces must equal zero for translational equilibrium, and the sum of all torques about any pivot point must equal zero for rotational equilibrium. These equations allow you to solve for unknown forces or distances.

What are common mistakes to avoid when solving torque problems with two pillars?

Common mistakes include not correctly identifying the pivot point, neglecting the angle between the force and lever arm in the torque calculation, ignoring the contribution of reaction forces at the pillars, and failing to ensure that both the sum of forces and the sum of torques are zero. Careful attention to these details is crucial for correctly solving the problem.