Torque & Power for Frame Tilting Arrangement

In summary, The conversation discusses a project on frame tilting arrangement where a shaft with sheet metal stacks has to be rotated by 180 degrees. The mass of the shaft is 15 tonnes and the torque required is calculated by finding the mass moment of inertia and multiplying it by angular acceleration. The total time taken to rotate the stacks is 25 minutes, resulting in a slow speed. The conversation also mentions using a perfectly balanced shaft and the possibility of friction forces affecting the rotation. A schematic drawing is provided and the question of whether the mass moment of inertia's of different bodies can be added up for the entire system is raised.
vishugupta
hi,
i am doing a project on frame tilting arrangement where the sheet metal stacks mounted on a shaft have to be rotated by 180 degrees. the mass of the shaft is 15 tonnes. to calculate the torque required i found the mass moment of inertia and multiplied it by angular acceleration. the total time taken to rotate the stacks is 25 minutes.so the speed is extremely slow. since the setup reaches the speed instantaneously, for calculating angular acceleration i took time as 0.1 sec(i don know whether this is right). i got very low torque value and also low power.(it came in watts!). i don't know the mistake . please help asap.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Is the shaft really perfectly balanced if there are frames mounted on it? Perhaps you could clarify/draw a diagram of the situation...

If, indeed, the shaft is perfectly balanced, then friction forces are the largest factor in figuring out how fast you can rotate it.

But I would certainly think that a couple hundred watt motor could provide enough torque to turn it if you are looking to rotate it over a period of many minutes. When you gear down the motor that far, the torque can be enormous.

hi,
the shafts are perfectly balanced. they have a pair of c-brackets. i have attached a schematic drawing. the torque is very high. and the speed of 0.02 rpm is reached instantaneously .
so to find the angular accln, what is the time to be taken for calculation purpose. please guide me.

this is the pdf format of my drawing.

Attachments

• FRAME LIFTING ARRANGEMENT.pdf
    31.3 KB · Views: 195
one more question...
can we add up the mass moment of inertia's of different bodies rotating about the same axis to get the total mass moment of inertia of the entire system...?

Related to Torque & Power for Frame Tilting Arrangement

1. What is torque in relation to frame tilting arrangements?

Torque is the measure of rotational force applied to an object, in this case, the frame tilting arrangement. It is typically measured in units of Newton-meters (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lb).

2. How is torque calculated for frame tilting arrangements?

Torque can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to the object by the distance from the point of rotation to the point where the force is being applied. In frame tilting arrangements, this would typically involve the force generated by the motor and the distance from the motor to the tilting mechanism.

3. What is the purpose of torque in frame tilting arrangements?

The purpose of torque in frame tilting arrangements is to provide the necessary force to rotate the frame and maintain stability while in motion. It is crucial for ensuring smooth and controlled movement of the frame.

4. What is power in relation to frame tilting arrangements?

Power is the rate at which work is done, and it is often measured in units of watts (W) or horsepower (hp). In frame tilting arrangements, power is used to describe the amount of work the motor can do in a given time, which affects the speed and force at which the frame can tilt.

5. How is power calculated for frame tilting arrangements?

Power can be calculated by dividing the amount of work done by the time it takes to do the work. In frame tilting arrangements, this would involve calculating the work done by the motor (force x distance) and dividing it by the time it takes to tilt the frame. The resulting value is the power of the motor.