How Accurate Are These Torque Calculations?

In summary: Q2 is correct.3. If someone continues to push with a force of 50 N, what maximum torque could be applied? T=FsinT= (1.5)(50)sin(10)T=13.0 J
amy098yay
I was given this info
r=1.5 m
d=3 m
F= 50 N
angle= 110 degrees

1. What torque is applied?
T=Fsin
T= (1.5)(50)sin(110)
T=70 J

2. At what angle would enough force be applied to achieve maximum toque?
T=Fsin
T= (1.5)(50)sin(90)
T=75 (joules)

3. If someone continues to push with a force of 50 N, what maximum torque could be applied?
T=Fsin
T= (1.5)(50)sin(10)
T=13.0 J

Are these solutions to the questions correct, if not; what do i need to change to get the correct solution?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do distances r and d represent? Where is the angle measured? The problem statement is very vague. A diagram would help.

For 1
First, I would like to see a diagram, as I don't know what the angle is between.
Second, I would point out that torque is not measured in Joules. I can see how you got that, but the force and distance in a torque are perpendicular. The force is not moving through that distance.
For 2
You need to read the question again. You know the correct answer, but have said something else!
For 3
Where did 10o come from? Again, you know the correct answer, I think: when you sort 2, you'll answer 3.

Edit - I see now this is continued from another thread. I think you need to draw a diagram.
Maximum torque: torque is Force x distance from centre of rotation, so to get max torque you need to maximise these. If you can't change the force, when is the distance from centre max?

Last edited:
heres the diagram

Attachments

• digram.png
    digram.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 432
I was given this info
r=1.5 m
d=3 m
F= 50 N
angle= 110 degrees

T=Fsin
T= (1.5)(50)sin(110)
T=70 N m

T=Fsin
T= (1.5)(50)sin(10)
T=13.0 N m

3. If someone continues to push with a force of 50 N, what maximum torque could be applied?T=Fsin
T= (1.5)(50)sin(90)
T=75 N mAre these solutions to the questions correct, i fixed the things you told me to. if not; what do i need to change to get the correct solution?

Last edited:
T=Fsin
T= (1.5)(50)sin(110)
T=70 Nm

You get the right answer, but your working is not clear.
T <> F sin rather T = r F sin(x) (You did not mention r. sin(x) is just because I think sin has to be sin of something.)
T= (1.5)(50)sin(110) Now that's right, but you put in r which was not in your original formula. That is bad IMO.
T = 70 Nm which follows from the previous line and is correct.

Question 2 asks "What ANGLE <gives> maximum torque?" You don't answer with an angle.
Where did 10o come from? It is not in your diagram (and neither is r or D btw) and you have not calculated it, so you need to explain it.

Q3 is correct, but disagrees with Q2. You need to explain what you are doing /thinking. It will help you.

amy098yay said:

Is that the exact wording of the question? The bit about "enough force" is slightly strange. It sounds like we might be missing part of the problem statement.

Does 90 degrees give maximum torque for 2. ?

Yes.

Related to How Accurate Are These Torque Calculations?

1. What is torque and how is it calculated?

Torque is a measure of the twisting force on an object. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the object by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

2. How does torque affect an object's rotational motion?

Torque causes an object to rotate around an axis. The direction of rotation is determined by the direction of the applied force.

3. What is the difference between positive and negative torque?

Positive torque causes an object to rotate in a clockwise direction, while negative torque causes it to rotate counterclockwise. The direction of torque is dependent on the direction of the applied force and the orientation of the object.

4. How does the distance from the axis of rotation affect torque?

The farther the force is from the axis of rotation, the greater the torque will be. This is because the longer distance creates a larger lever arm, which increases the effectiveness of the applied force in causing rotational motion.

5. How can torque be increased or decreased?

Torque can be increased by increasing the force applied or by increasing the distance from the axis of rotation. It can be decreased by decreasing the force or distance. Additionally, changing the direction of the force can also affect torque.