Torque/rotational motion question

• Thread starter sagebum
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary, trying to solve this problem using the sum of the torques instead of the force as stated in the problem caused confusion.
sagebum

Homework Statement

A person standing on tiptoe, the position of the foot is as shown. *The total gravitational force on the body Fg is supported by the force n exerted by the floor on the toes of one foot. A mechanical model for the situation is shown in Figure P10.70b (http://www.piercecollege.edu/faculty/meyermd/Physics%2066/P66%20Homework/Chapter%2010%20HW%20PDF.pdf Problem 70) where T is the force exerted by the Achilles tendon on the foot and R is the force exerted by the tibia on the foot. Find the values of T,R, and θ when Fg = 700N

Homework Equations

torque(tau) = r x F (that's r cross F)

The Attempt at a Solution

I assumed that the Fg and the normal force cancel out from the 2nd line in the problem statement. I also tried moving the Fg to different positions, but the answers don't seem correct. Using hte [tex]\sum[/tex]of torques, whereas the axis of rotation is at the toes(normal force), i got torque = 0 = -.18 * R * sin(θ) + .25 * T, I don't think that's R sin(θ) because R is not the hypotenuse. I also tried assuming that θis 15 degrees, and that R was perpendicular to the Foot. Other than the sum of torques, I don't know what other formulas to use, or what kind of approach to take for this problem.
Another method I used was to move the axis of rotation around, and use 4 equations for 4 unknowns, but that proved to be an incorrect method (the results didnt seem correct). I also think that the Fg = 700 N is supposed to come into the equation somewhere, and not cancel out with the normal force, but I have no idea what to do with that if it's not canceled. Can anyone help me with an approach I can take to solve this problem? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
torque = 0 = -.18 * R * sin(θ) + .25 * T

the sin(theta) shouldn't be there. torque is the force times the perpendicular distance from the pivot to the line of the force... you had the T part right. so it should be:

torque = 0 = -.18 * R + .25 * T

that's one equation.

you get 2 more equations by setting sum of forces in x-direction = 0 and sum of forces in y-direction = 0.

thx

Thanks for the help, can't believe i forgot the basics of sum of the forces lol

FAQ: Torque/rotational motion question

1. What is torque and how is it different from force?

Torque is a measure of the force that can cause an object to rotate around an axis. It is different from force because while force causes linear motion, torque causes rotational motion.

2. How is torque calculated?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. The formula for torque is T = F x d, where T is torque, F is force, and d is distance.

3. How does the direction of the force affect torque?

The direction of the force relative to the axis of rotation determines the direction of the torque. If the force is applied perpendicular to the axis of rotation, the torque will be the greatest. If the force is applied parallel to the axis of rotation, there will be no torque.

4. What factors affect the magnitude of torque?

The magnitude of torque is affected by the magnitude of the force, the distance from the axis of rotation, and the angle between the force and the lever arm (the shortest distance from the axis of rotation to the line of action of the force).

5. How is torque related to rotational equilibrium?

In order for an object to be in rotational equilibrium, the sum of all torques acting on the object must be equal to zero. This means that the object will not rotate as long as the torques acting on it are balanced. Torque is essential for understanding rotational equilibrium and the stability of objects.