Torque transmitted through a helix angle?

In summary, the conversation discussed building and reverse engineering drive components and the relationship between torque and linear force in a screw. The helix angle was determined using a trigonometric formula and the resulting force output was found to be a ratio. The conversation also touched on the concept of velocity ratio and the importance of having balls in the spindle to prevent friction. Finally, the relationship between pitch, circumference, and helix angle in calculating force output was mentioned.
Hutch
Hi all, my first post here,
I've succumbed to some help if possible, i know its wrong but it's getting my goat! now, and many times in years gone by.

I am building something as always, and reverse engineering exisiting drive components to select suitable new ones if that makes sense. In particular I am looking at a screw helix mathemtically (trying). or should i say just a screw.

what i want know is the relationship between :

the torque applied at a radius of a screw,
and the linear resultant force.

taking into consideration of course the helix angle, or i think, the helix angle. as that has a relationship with the force output, through an angle.

for instance, a screw thread with diameter 8 and a lead (pitch) of 2.5 between threads. using the trig formula

inv tan = opp / ADJ

and modifying slightly to add 'pi' , as the helix angle is using one full circumfrence of the screw against one pitch. and we are not working in 2d anymore.

inv tan = ( opp / pi.ADJ )

torque1.JPG

torque2.JPG

gives a helix angle of 5.68 degrees, great, the helix angle.

now,
what i would like to know is how does that helix angle now affect the output force as a multiplier, forgiving friction, with regard to what is input (torque/any) through the handle
i can see it is a ratio, and it changes uniformly, it is a decimal number, a mutliplier, how is the geometrical ratio now expressed?, how much force is output through a helix angle, any!.

Engineering news on Phys.org
bieng as the screw moved 2.5mm of linear movement for a total circular movement of 25.1327412mm , is that not proportional to the output ratio in itself? 25.1327412/2.5 = 10.05 would then an input force be multiplied by this 10.05 ratio to give what's output?

i.e 10nm torque input on the short handle = (10N x 0.125M ) = 1.25Nm at the handle

multiplied by 10.05 = 12.56N output?

Hutch said:
bieng as the screw moved 2.5mm of linear movement for a total circular movement of 25.1327412mm , is that not proportional to the output ratio in itself? 25.1327412/2.5 = 10.05 would then an input force be multiplied by this 10.05 ratio to give what's output?

i.e 10nm torque input on the short handle = (10N x 0.125M ) = 1.25Nm at the handle

multiplied by 10.05 = 12.56N output?

correct, if velocity ratio comes out to be 1/10 (use law of conservation of energy), the force at output increases ten folds

I hope your spindle has balls. If not, friction consumes much more torque than pitch does.

friction is omitted purposely from the assumption, (read 1st post) there are no balls at this stage, Its just for proving the maths, thanks by the way.

i find it interesting that force output through a screw can be calculated with the ratio of the pitch (distance traveled axially) to the circumfrence (work done in one turn), I guess those two factors produce a ratio, of course, and also a helix angle.

is there not a way that you can include the helix angle into a calculation? or is it irrelevant?

Last edited:

Related to Torque transmitted through a helix angle?

1. What is torque transmitted through a helix angle?

Torque transmitted through a helix angle is a measure of the twisting force exerted on a helical object, such as a screw or bolt. It is the product of the force applied perpendicular to the axis of rotation and the distance from the axis of rotation to the point of application of the force.

2. How is torque transmitted through a helix angle calculated?

The torque transmitted through a helix angle is calculated by multiplying the force applied perpendicular to the axis of rotation by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point of application of the force. This can be expressed as T = F x r, where T is the torque, F is the force, and r is the distance.

3. What is the relationship between helix angle and torque transmission?

The relationship between helix angle and torque transmission is inversely proportional. This means that as the helix angle increases, the torque transmitted decreases. This is because a larger helix angle results in a longer distance from the axis of rotation to the point of application of force, thus decreasing the lever arm and reducing the torque.

4. How does the direction of the helix angle affect torque transmission?

The direction of the helix angle does not affect torque transmission. The magnitude of torque transmitted is dependent on the helix angle and the force applied, regardless of whether the helix angle is clockwise or counterclockwise.

5. What factors can affect torque transmission through a helix angle?

Several factors can affect torque transmission through a helix angle, including the material and diameter of the helical object, the magnitude and direction of the applied force, and the smoothness of the threads. Additionally, friction and other external forces may also impact the amount of torque transmitted through a helix angle.