Torque w/ See-Saw: Solve for Mass

• Thread starter goonking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, the problem involves balancing torques about a pivot point on a seesaw. The original attempt at a solution involved setting up a problem with incorrect units and not taking into account the center of mass of the plank. Through further discussion, it was determined that the simpler method was to treat the whole plank as a point mass at its center of mass. However, the 'less simple' method was also discussed, which involves treating the plank as two separate pieces and calculating the mass and mass center of each piece. Ultimately, the correct solution involved taking into account the distances to the mass centers of the two pieces of plank.
goonking

Homework Statement

8BRQmGc.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I set up my problem as :

(12kg x .5m) + ( 1/3 x 4kg) = (1.05m x Mass) + (2/3 x 4kg)

then , i just solve for mass, is that correct?

actually, should I change the (1/3 x 4kg) to ( 1m x 4kg) and the (2/3 x 4kg) to ( 2m x 4kg)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Second terms on each sides is only force not torque. The best way is to take center of mass of the plank under consideration.

mukundpa said:
Second terms on each sides is only force not torque. The best way is to take center of mass of the plank under consideration.
which equation do you mean? the first or second one?

You are trying to balance torques about the pivot point of the seesaw. What you have written is mass*length, which does not have units of Newton-meters.
You are close to the right idea, but the second term on each side of the equality is not correct. As mukundpa says, find the center of mass of the board and treat it as a point mass; what torque does that point mass produce, and which side of the pendulum is it on?

sun18 said:
You are trying to balance torques about the pivot point of the seesaw. What you have written is mass*length, which does not have units of Newton-meters.
You are close to the right idea, but the second term on each side of the equality is not correct. As mukundpa says, find the center of mass of the board and treat it as a point mass; what torque does that point mass produce, and which side of the pendulum is it on?
the center of mass is at the middle of the board, which is 1.5 meters.
the pivot point is to the right of the center of mass.

That's right, so now think about the problem: you have 2 masses on the left of the pivot point, and one on the right. Now try to balance the torques and solve for M.

sun18 said:
That's right, so now think about the problem: you have 2 masses on the left of the pivot point, and one on the right. Now try to balance the torques and solve for M.
what do you mean 2 ? are you counter the board and the orange cat?

if you did, shouldn't there be 2 masses on the right of the pivot point too?

Imagine that the board is completely massless, except for one concentrated mass at the center of mass of the board. Then, the only masses in the system are the orange cat on the left, the mass of the board on the left, and the blue cat on the right.

sun18 said:
Then, the only masses in the system are the orange cat on the left, the mass of the board on the left, and the blue cat on the right.

I believe there would also be a force exerted by gravity on the mass of the portion of the board that is to the right of the pivot. Actually, I need to learn to read.

Last edited:
AlephNumbers said:
I believe there would also be a force exerted by gravity on the mass of the portion of the board that is to the right of the pivot.
There are two ways you can deal with the board. You can consider each side separately, exerting opposite torques, or the simpler way sun18 suggests: consider the whole board's mass to be concentrated at its mass centre. That gives you only 3 masses to worry about.

haruspex said:
There are two ways you can deal with the board. You can consider each side separately, exerting opposite torques, or the simpler way sun18 suggests: consider the whole board's mass to be concentrated at its mass centre. That gives you only 3 masses to worry about.

Oh okay. I did not realize that that was what sun18 was suggesting. That is indeed simpler.

so now I need to find how far away the center of mass of board is from the pivot point?

goonking said:
so now I need to find how far away the center of mass of board is from the pivot point?
Yes.

center of mass is 0.5m away from pivot

(orange cat mass x 1.05m) + (4kg x 0.5m) = 12kg x 0.5m

mass orange cat = 3.809 kg.

correct?

haruspex said:
i'm interested on how you would do this problem the 'less simple' way. can you show me the math?

goonking said:
center of mass is 0.5m away from pivot

(orange cat mass x 1.05m) + (4kg x 0.5m) = 12kg x 0.5m

mass orange cat = 3.809 kg.

correct?
Looks right (but you can't justify that many significant digits).
goonking said:
how you would do this problem the 'less simple' way
Much the same... just treat the plank as two planks, one each side. It's more complicated because you have to calculate the mass and mass centre of each piece.

haruspex said:
Looks right (but you can't justify that many significant digits).

Much the same... just treat the plank as two planks, one each side. It's more complicated because you have to calculate the mass and mass centre of each piece.
so you mean like this?

goonking said:
so you mean like this?

You've missed out the distances to the mass centres of the two pieces of plank.

haruspex said:
You've missed out the distances to the mass centres of the two pieces of plank.
ok i see

so it is :

(12kg x .5m) + ( 1/3 x 4kg x .5m) = (1.05m x Mass) + (2/3 x 4kg x 1m)

the center of mass of the plank of the right side is .5 meters away from pivot

and the center of pass of the plank of the left side is 1 meter away from pivot.

correct?

goonking said:
ok i see

so it is :

(12kg x .5m) + ( 1/3 x 4kg x .5m) = (1.05m x Mass) + (2/3 x 4kg x 1m)

the center of mass of the plank of the right side is .5 meters away from pivot

and the center of pass of the plank of the left side is 1 meter away from pivot.

correct?
looks right. Do you get the same answer?

haruspex said:
looks right. Do you get the same answer?
yep! thanks!

Just to point out, the units of torque are N*m, and you're writing kg*m.
In the end, it won't matter because the factor of g will cancel out, but if you had to show your work, you would need to include (mass)*(gravity)*(length)

FAQ: Torque w/ See-Saw: Solve for Mass

What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that can cause an object to rotate about an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation.

How is torque related to see-saws?

See-saws are a simple example of a lever, which is a type of simple machine that uses torque to lift or move objects. The distance between the fulcrum (or pivot point) and the object determines how much force is needed to lift the object on the other side of the lever.

What is the formula for calculating torque?

The formula for torque is: torque = force x distance. The force is measured in Newtons (N) and the distance is measured in meters (m).

How do you solve for mass in a torque problem with a see-saw?

To solve for mass in a torque problem with a see-saw, you need to know the length of the see-saw, the distance from the fulcrum to the object, and the weight of the object. Then you can use the formula torque = force x distance to calculate the force, and divide by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2) to find the mass of the object.

What are some real-world applications of torque with see-saws?

See-saws are commonly used in playgrounds, but the concept of torque is also important in many other fields such as engineering, physics, and biomechanics. Torque is used to design and analyze machines and structures, as well as to understand the movement and stability of the human body.