Torricelli's Law (Seperable DE Application)

In summary, the equation given for the cross sectional area of the sphere in terms of y is A(y) = ∏(4^2 - (4-y)^2). However, this may be incorrect as it would result in a cross sectional area of ∏*16 when y=4, which is not possible for the top of a sphere. Further clarification or assistance may be needed to find the correct equation.
PsychonautQQ

Homework Statement

A spherical tank of radius 4(ft) is full of gasoline when a circular bottom hole with radius 1 in. is opened. How long will be required for all the gasoline to drain from the tank?

Homework Equations

dVolume/dTime = -a(2gy)^(1/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Right now I'm trying to find an equation to express the cross sectional area of the sphere in terms of y. The answer solution manual I am looking out says that A(y) = ∏(4^2 - (4-y)^2). However, I don't see how this can be correct as that would mean the cross section area when y=4 is equal to ∏*16, which is obviously false, because the top of a sphere should have cross sectional area of 0. It works when you enter 0 in for y however. Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
PsychonautQQ said:

Homework Statement

A spherical tank of radius 4(ft) is full of gasoline when a circular bottom hole with radius 1 in. is opened. How long will be required for all the gasoline to drain from the tank?

Homework Equations

dVolume/dTime = -a(2gy)^(1/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Right now I'm trying to find an equation to express the cross sectional area of the sphere in terms of y. The answer solution manual I am looking out says that A(y) = ∏(4^2 - (4-y)^2). However, I don't see how this can be correct as that would mean the cross section area when y=4 is equal to ∏*16, which is obviously false, because the top of a sphere should have cross sectional area of 0. It works when you enter 0 in for y however. Help?

The sphere has radius 4, so if its bottom is at [itex]y = 0[/itex] then its center is at [itex]y = 4[/itex] and its top is at [itex]y = 8[/itex].

Likes 1 person

Related to Torricelli's Law (Seperable DE Application)

1. What is Torricelli's Law?

Torricelli's Law is a mathematical equation that relates the speed of fluid exiting a small hole at the bottom of a container to the height of the fluid above the hole. It is named after its discoverer, Italian scientist Evangelista Torricelli, who first described the phenomenon in the 17th century.

2. How does Torricelli's Law relate to separable differential equations?

Torricelli's Law can be represented as a separable differential equation, which means that the variables in the equation can be separated to solve for the dependent variable. In this case, the variables are the speed of the fluid and the height of the fluid, and the dependent variable is time.

3. What are the applications of Torricelli's Law?

Torricelli's Law has various applications in the fields of physics and engineering. It is commonly used to calculate the flow rate of liquids through pipes or channels, and to design systems such as fountains and waterfalls. It is also used in hydraulic engineering to study the behavior of fluids in motion.

4. What are the assumptions made in Torricelli's Law?

Torricelli's Law assumes that the fluid is incompressible, non-viscous, and that the flow is steady and laminar. It also assumes that there is no external force acting on the fluid, such as gravity or air resistance.

5. Can Torricelli's Law be applied to gases as well?

Torricelli's Law was initially developed for liquids, but it can also be applied to gases under certain conditions. The gas must be at a constant temperature and have a low velocity, and the flow must be adiabatic (no heat transfer). In these cases, the law can be modified to include the ideal gas law and used to calculate the speed of gas exiting a small opening.