Torsion pendulum in Cavendish experiment

In summary: It is not a constant. I don't understand what you're trying to do.In summary, the Cavendish experiment involves two small balls connected by a rigid rod and two large balls separated by the same distance. The expression for the gravitational constant G can be found by putting the large balls a small distance away from the small balls and finding the equilibrium angle θ and distance between the centers of the balls. To determine if the oscillation is harmonic, the equation for the period of the oscillation can be found by solving a differential equation, where the net torque is equal to the moment of inertia times the angular acceleration. Assuming simple harmonic motion, the solution to the differential equation takes the form of θ1 = A
TSny said:
I don't get the 2 in the numerator of the first factor.

To simplify further, think about the condition that holds at equilbrium.
Isn't the 2 factor because the radius of the circle is L/2?
At equilibrium, GMmL/(2r02) = κθ0. So I sub it in. I'll get -δθ(κ - κθ0/r0) = Iα
So ω2 = 2κ(r0 - θ0)/(mL2r0).
Therefore T = 2π√(mL2r0)/2κ(r0 - Lθ0)

But my given answer is T = 2π√(mL2r0)/2κ(r0 - Lθ0cosθ0). Why is there an extra cosθ0 ...

Physics news on Phys.org
If I work backwards, when it is θ = θ0 + δθ the distance between M and m is (L/2)δθcosθ0. I thought since δθ is small, I can approximate the distance between M and m as (L/2)δθ?

Yoonique said:
Isn't the 2 factor because the radius of the circle is L/2?
Did you take into account that there are 2 gravitational forces acting on the rod?

At equilibrium, GMmL/(2r02) = κθ0.
OK, except for that factor of 2. (Hope I'm not the one who's dropping a factor of 2 somewhere.)

So I sub it in. I'll get -δθ(κ - κθ0/r0) ...
Note that the second term in parentheses does not have the correct dimensions.

TSny said:
Did you take into account that there are 2 gravitational forces acting on the rod?OK, except for that factor of 2. (Hope I'm not the one who's dropping a factor of 2 somewhere.)Note that the second term in parentheses does not have the correct dimensions.
Ops, is a typo, I forgot about the L inside. It should be δθ(κ - Lκθ0/r0). My final answer is T = 2π√(mL2r0)/2κ(r0 - Lθ0). However the given answer is T = 2π√(mL2r0)/2κ(r0 - Lθ0cosθ0). Why is there an extra cosθ0? If I work backwards, when it is θ = θ0 + δθ the distance between M and m is (L/2)δθcosθ0. I thought since δθ is small, I can approximate the distance between M and m as (L/2)δθ?

cosθ0≅1 for small θ0

paisiello2 said:
cosθ0≅1 for small θ0
But is θ0 small? Because the question did not state that though. They only state that δθ is small. θ0 is the equilibrium point though..

paisiello2 said:
cosθ0≅1 for small θ0
If cosθ0 figures in the given answer then clearly θ0 is not considered small enough to use that approximation.

haruspex said:
If cosθ0 figures in the given answer then clearly θ0 is not considered small enough to use that approximation.
Then why is there an extra cosθ0 in the given answer? Do you know?

Yoonique said:
Then why is there an extra cosθ0 in the given answer? Do you know?
No. I haven't tried to follow all the algebraic developments in the thread. I attempted the problem from scratch and got the given answer except that in place of the cosθ0 I get ##\cos(\phi)##, where ##r_0 = L \sin(\phi)##. θ0cosθ0 feels wrong. I don't see how cosθ0 could come into it. So I suspect a typo in the given answer.

haruspex said:
No. I haven't tried to follow all the algebraic developments in the thread. I attempted the problem from scratch and got the given answer except that in place of the cosθ0 I get ##\cos(\phi)##, where ##r_0 = L \sin(\phi)##. θ0cosθ0 feels wrong. I don't see how cosθ0 could come into it. So I suspect a typo in the given answer.
So the distance between M and m is r0 - Lδθcos(θ0/2)/2, where ##\cos(\phi)## = cos(θ0/2) because it is the angle at the circumference.
But why is the distance m moved is Lδθcos(θ0/2)/2 not Lδθ/2 since δθ is small.

Yoonique said:
So the distance between M and m is r0 - Lθ0cos(θ0/2), where ##\cos(\phi)## = cos(θ0/2) because it is the angle at the circumference.
Whoa, what do you think θ0 stands for? Isn't it the angle the torsion fibre had turned through to reach the r0 position? Why would that relate to the angle that m and M subtend at the rod's centre in the equilibrium position?

haruspex said:
Whoa, what do you think θ0 stands for? Isn't it the angle the torsion fibre had turned through to reach the r0 position? Why would that relate to the angle that m and M subtend at the rod's centre in the equilibrium position?
Oh I see what you meant. So when m moves an angle of δθ, the distance between M and m is r0 - δθL/2 right? Which means LsinΦ - δθL/2? But this will give me the answer without the cosΦ. How do you get the cosΦ in the answer? If I worked backwards from the answer, why when m moves an angle of δθ, m moves cosΦ⋅δθL/2?

Last edited:
Yoonique said:
How do you get the cosΦ

The small mass can be thought of as moving along a tangent to the circle, whereas r cuts across the circle. So the motion of the mass and r are not in the same direction.

I agree with haruspex's answer.

TSny said:
The small mass can be thought of as moving along a tangent to the circle, whereas r cuts across the circle. So the motion of the mass and r are not in the same direction.

I agree with haruspex's answer.
Okay, so the length of the tangent is δθL/2. But I can't visualise why cosΦ⋅δθL/2 will be in the same direction as r.

Yoonique said:
Okay, so the length of the tangent is δθL/2. But I can't visualise why cosΦ⋅δθL/2 will be in the same direction as r.
See figure.

Attachments

• Cavendish.png
    Cavendish.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 412
TSny said:
See figure.
Oh I was drawing the wrong triangle that's why I can't see it. Thanks I got it now. Thanks everyone for helping me in solving this question! So the given answer was wrong.