Torsoin pendulum with meter stick

In summary, the conversation discusses a meter stick that is hung from a thin wire and oscillates with a period of 6.0 s. The stick is then sawed off to a length of 70.0 cm and set in oscillation again. The problem involves finding the value of I and I_0 in the equation T = T_0 * sqrt (I / I_0) in order to determine the correct period of oscillation, which is 3.5 s. The answer can be found in an archived forum thread.
faizulhu

Homework Statement

A meter stick is hung at its center from a thin wire. It is twisted and oscillates with a period of 6.0 s. The meter stick is sawed off to a length of 70.0 cm. This piece is again balanced at its center and set in oscillation.

Homework Equations

T = 2PI / (omega) = 2PI * (sqrt(I/k)) where I = m.o.i and k =torsion constant

The Attempt at a Solution

I managed to get the value for the two period

T = T_0 * sqrt (I / I_0) where T_0 and I_0 are the initial parameters. The problem is the question does not state the I and I_0. I tried considering it to be a thin rod but failed. The correct answer is 3.5s.

Attachments

• GIANCOLI.ch14.p53.jpg
    GIANCOLI.ch14.p53.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 487
Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Torsoin pendulum with meter stick

1. What is a torsoin pendulum with meter stick?

A torsoin pendulum with meter stick is a simple scientific apparatus used to demonstrate the principles of torsion and oscillation. It consists of a meter stick attached to a fixed support at one end and a weight (usually a metal ball) attached to the other end. When the weight is twisted and released, it will oscillate back and forth in a torsional motion.

2. How does a torsoin pendulum with meter stick work?

The torsoin pendulum works by converting potential energy into kinetic energy and back again. When the weight is twisted, it stores potential energy in the form of torsional stress in the meter stick. As the weight is released, the stored energy is converted into kinetic energy, causing the weight to oscillate back and forth until all the stored energy is dissipated.

3. What factors affect the period of a torsoin pendulum with meter stick?

The period of a torsoin pendulum with meter stick is affected by several factors including the length and mass of the meter stick, the mass of the weight, and the angle at which the weight is released. The period can be calculated using the equation: T = 2π√(I/mgd), where T is the period, I is the moment of inertia of the meter stick, m is the mass of the weight, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and d is the distance between the weight and the fixed support.

4. What is the significance of the torsional constant in a torsoin pendulum with meter stick?

The torsional constant (k) is a measure of the stiffness of the meter stick in the torsoin pendulum. It is directly proportional to the square of the period and inversely proportional to the moment of inertia of the meter stick. A higher torsional constant means that the meter stick is stiffer and will have a shorter period of oscillation.

5. How is a torsoin pendulum with meter stick used in scientific research?

A torsoin pendulum with meter stick can be used in scientific research to study the principles of torsion and oscillation. It can also be used to measure the torsional constant of different materials and to investigate the effects of external forces on the period of the pendulum. This apparatus has also been used to study the Earth's rotation and to measure the gravitational constant.