Total acceleration from angular acceleration

In summary: Radial acceleration is omega squared times the radius of the circle.Yes, the question wants the total acceleration, so that should give you a clue that it is not just tangential acceleration at play here. What else?Yes, the question wants the total acceleration, so that should give you a clue that it is not just tangential acceleration at play here. What else?
droidofthevoid

Homework Statement

A discus thrower ( with arm length of 1.2 m) starts from rest and begins to rotate counterclockwise with a constant angular acceleration of 2.5 [rad/s^2]. What is the magnitude of the total acceleration of the discus when its angular velocity is 9.0[rad/s]?

Homework Equations

I'm not really connecting the dots here. Do I treat the discus thrower as a rigid body and give a simple moment of inertia, which I then plug into a torque equation tau = I alpha?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
droidofthevoid said:
Do I treat the discus thrower as a rigid body
Not necessary. The question is interested in the acceleration of the discus, so there is only a need to consider the motion of the discus.

JeremyG said:
Not necessary. The question is interested in the acceleration of the discus, so there is only a need to consider the motion of the discus.
So then I treat it as a particle going in a circle and use a = R alpha? Do I neglect the omega= 3.0 rad/s?

droidofthevoid said:
o then I treat it as a particle going in a circle and use a = R alpha?
Yes in this case you can treat it as a particle going round in a circle. ##a = r\alpha## will give you what kind of acceleration? As a hint, see the comment below as well.

droidofthevoid said:
omega= 3.0 rad/s?
You mean 9rad/s? No you do not ignore this.

JeremyG said:
Yes in this case you can treat it as a particle going round in a circle. ##a = r\alpha## will give you what kind of acceleration? As a hint, see the comment below as well.
It'll give tangential acceleration

Yes, the question wants the total acceleration, so that should give you a clue that it is not just tangential acceleration at play here. What else?

JeremyG said:
Yes, the question wants the total acceleration, so that should give you a clue that it is not just tangential acceleration at play here. What else?

Well then, I would presume it would have something to do with torque and perhaps treating the thrower as a rigid body? or radial acceleration, which would be omega squared times r.

Torque by the thrower is the cause for the tangential acceleration/angular acceleration of the discus. And as mentioned above, the thrower himself need not be considered in this problem.

The discus is traveling in a circular motion, yes? Tangential acceleration is not sufficient to ensure that the discus is traveling in a circular motion, uniform or not. What about considering the radial acceleration?

Related to Total acceleration from angular acceleration

1. How is total acceleration related to angular acceleration?

Total acceleration is directly related to angular acceleration. Total acceleration is the combination of both linear acceleration and angular acceleration. When an object is rotating, it experiences both angular acceleration and linear acceleration due to its changing direction of motion.

2. What is the formula for calculating total acceleration from angular acceleration?

The formula for calculating total acceleration from angular acceleration is a = rα, where a is the total acceleration, r is the radius of the rotating object, and α (alpha) is the angular acceleration.

3. How does an increase in angular acceleration affect total acceleration?

An increase in angular acceleration will result in an increase in total acceleration. This is because an increase in angular acceleration means the object is rotating at a faster rate, which leads to a larger change in direction and therefore a larger total acceleration.

4. Can total acceleration be negative if angular acceleration is positive?

Yes, total acceleration can be negative even if angular acceleration is positive. This can happen when the linear acceleration and angular acceleration are in opposite directions. In this case, the total acceleration will be the difference between the two, which could be a negative value.

5. How can total acceleration from angular acceleration be measured?

Total acceleration from angular acceleration can be measured using various tools such as accelerometers, gyroscopes, and tilt sensors. These devices can detect changes in both linear and angular acceleration and calculate the total acceleration based on the formula a = rα.