Total Angular Momentum of Circularly Polarised Light

In summary, the occurrence of an incident circularly polarised EM wave on a ground state hydrogen atom results in the final state of the atomic electron transition being at m=±1, depending on the orientation of polarisation. This is due to the conservation of angular momentum, where the EM wave carries total angular momentum J of ±hbar and J equals L+S (orbital angular momentum and spin angular momentum respectively). Although the spin angular momentum of photons is 1, unlike electrons which have a spin of 1/2, the m value for photons can be ±1. This is due to the fact that the m=+1 or -1 corresponds to the L_z of the orbital angular momentum of the electron. Additionally, because
nla7
I am considering the occurence of an incident circularly polarised EM wave on a ground state hydrogen atom. The result is that the final state of the atomic electron transition will be at m= ±1 depending on the orientation of polarisation (LCP or RCP).

I understand that this is due to the conservation of angular momentum. The EM wave carries total angular momentum J of ± hbar. J also equals L+S (orbital angular momentum & spin angular monetum respectively). However the angular momentum of circularly polarised light comes solely from the spin angular momentum, which would imply that L=0 and S= ± hbar.

My problem is tho, is that S=m_s hbar and I understood that m_s could only equal ± 1/2. So how in the instance of my light, can S be an integer value of hbar?

Any assistance would be much appreciated. Thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Unlike electrons, photons have spin 1, so m_s = +-1.

The m=+1 or -1 is for L_z of the orbital angular momentum of the electron.

Thank you. That makes sense now :)

I'm thinking that although it is the S component of the photon's J that has a value, because of spin-orbit interaction, it is only J that needs to be conserved and not the individual components S or L. Which is why it can be the electron's L that carries the conservation.

one more thing,photons are massless then don't have a zero value for m.

Related to Total Angular Momentum of Circularly Polarised Light

What is total angular momentum of circularly polarised light?

The total angular momentum of circularly polarised light is a measure of the rotation and spin of the electromagnetic fields that make up the light. It is a vector quantity that describes the combined angular momentum of the circularly polarised electric and magnetic fields.

How is total angular momentum of circularly polarised light calculated?

The total angular momentum of circularly polarised light is calculated by taking the product of the wavevector and the Poynting vector of the light. The wavevector describes the direction and wavelength of the light, while the Poynting vector describes the energy flow and direction of the light.

Why is total angular momentum of circularly polarised light important in optics?

The total angular momentum of circularly polarised light is important in optics because it can affect the behavior of light when it interacts with matter. It can also be used to study the properties of light and its interactions with different materials.

How can total angular momentum of circularly polarised light be changed?

The total angular momentum of circularly polarised light can be changed by altering the polarization state of the light. This can be done through the use of polarizers, wave plates, or by changing the direction of propagation of the light.

What are some practical applications of total angular momentum of circularly polarised light?

The total angular momentum of circularly polarised light has many practical applications, such as in optical communication systems, where it is used to encode and transmit information. It is also important in fields such as microscopy, spectroscopy, and optical trapping, where it can be used to manipulate and study microscopic particles.

Back