Total charge in a capacitive circuit

In summary, the textbook describes how to calculate the charge stored on two capacitors in series by using the reciprocal formula. The total charge is the sum of the charges on both capacitors.
musicboy
Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
Hi

I am confused about an example in my textbook related to charge stored by a capacitor

A 100 uF capacitor and a 700 uF capacitor are placed in series, along with a cell of 3V.
Calculate the p.d. across the 100 uF capacitor.

The book states the solution as follows:
"Using the reciprocal formula, the capacitance of the whole circuit is 87.5 uF.
This means the total charge stored Q = VC = 3 * 87.5e-6 = 2.63e-4

The total charge stored is equal to the charge stored by the 100 uF capacitor, which is equal to the charge stored by the 700 uF capacitor.
So V = Q/C = 2.63e-4/100e-6 =2.6V"

I understand all of this apart from the last section. I understand that the charge stored on both capacitors will be the same, but I do not understand how they can both be equal to the total charge - surely the total charge is the sum of the charges stored on both capacitors?

Any help much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
musicboy said:
I understand all of this apart from the last section. I understand that the charge stored on both capacitors will be the same, but I do not understand how they can both be equal to the total charge - surely the total charge is the sum of the charges stored on both capacitors?
Try thinking of the arrangement as being one giant capacitor instead of two. One plate of that giant capacitor is the left plate of C1, the other the right plate of C2. What are the charges on those plates?

Likes conscience
musicboy said:
The phasing of the paragraph is not the best, perhaps, and glosses over some technical details regarding how capacitors "store" charge. As you point out, each of the capacitors ends up with what we call a charge Q of the same size as the total charge. It gets even more problematic if you consider that what we call a charge on a capacitor consists of equal and opposite charges on its plates, actually summing to zero net charge on the capacitor as a whole.

In this case the total charge stored is taken to mean the charge moved by the voltage source and placed on the effective (equivalent) capacitance.

upload_2016-11-17_6-51-20.png

So in the above circuit the voltage source V moves a total charge Q "onto" the capacitance comprised of C1 and C2 in series. But the net charge for the two is in reality zero, the voltage source having also collected Q via its negative terminal while supplying Q from its positive terminal.

So when we say that a capacitor has a charge Q on it, we really mean that a charge Q has been removed from one plate and placed on the other, generally via some external path (wiring) and EMF doing the moving.

Likes musicboy and conscience
Thanks very much - that explained it perfectly.
V grateful :)

Related to Total charge in a capacitive circuit

1. What is total charge in a capacitive circuit?

Total charge in a capacitive circuit refers to the overall amount of electric charge present in all the capacitors within the circuit. It is measured in coulombs (C) and is determined by the capacitance value and voltage across each capacitor in the circuit.

2. How is total charge calculated in a capacitive circuit?

Total charge can be calculated by multiplying the capacitance (C) of each capacitor by the voltage (V) across it. The sum of all these individual charges will give the total charge in the circuit. Mathematically, it can be represented as Q = CV, where Q is the total charge, C is the capacitance, and V is the voltage.

3. Is total charge constant in a capacitive circuit?

Yes, total charge is constant in a capacitive circuit. This is because capacitors are designed to store charge, and this stored charge remains constant as long as the circuit remains closed and there is no change in the voltage or capacitance values.

4. What happens to total charge when capacitors are connected in series?

When capacitors are connected in series, the total charge remains the same across all capacitors. However, the voltage is divided between the capacitors, resulting in a decrease in the individual capacitor voltages compared to the voltage of the power source.

5. How does total charge affect the energy stored in a capacitive circuit?

The total charge in a capacitive circuit directly affects the energy stored in the circuit. The energy stored is directly proportional to the square of the total charge. This means that an increase in total charge will result in a proportional increase in the energy stored, and vice versa.