Total charge on an insulating sphere

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the total charge on a sphere with a spherically symmetric charge distribution and a given electric field within the sphere. One person initially tries to use a triple integral in spherical coordinates, but another person suggests a simpler method using Gauss's Law. The final answer is found by integrating E * 4 pi r^2 * epsilon naught * dr, which gives the correct result.
ehilge

Homework Statement

A sphere of radius R=0.0850 m is made up of insulating material and has a spherically symmetric charge distribution. The radial component of the electric field inside the sphere is given by:

Er= (-5.20E4) r3, for r ≤ R,

where Er is in N/C when r is in meters and r is the distance from the center of the sphere.

What is the total charge Q on the entire sphere? (Hint: Gauss's Law.)

Homework Equations

Gauss's law:
[tex]\oint E\bullet dA [/tex] =Qencl / epsilon0

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to set up a triple integral in spherical coords integrating -5.2E4 [tex]\rho[/tex]3[tex]\rho[/tex] sin[tex]\phi[/tex] d[tex]\rho[/tex] d[tex]\phi[/tex]d[tex]\theta[/tex]

(btw, that's supposed to be rho cubed times rho)

from 0<=[tex]\rho[/tex]<=.085, 0<=[tex]\theta[/tex]<=2pi, and 0<=[tex]\phi[/tex]<=pi

When I calculate this and multiply by epsilon, I get: -2.56E-12
which is a power of 10 off from the given answer which is: -2.56E-11

For some reason though, I feel like this is a coincidence and I'm missing something more than a power of ten somewhere. So, does my work seem to be right? If so where am I missing a power of 10 at? And also, I'm thinking there is an easier way to do this problem other than integrating so any insight into that would be great!
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it's interesting that you chose to use a triple integral. Here's what I would do:

To get the q(inside) all you have to do is integrate E * 4 pi r^2 * epsilon naught * dr. Remember to get the area in terms of dr now and not dA. Try it and see what you get!

**Edit** I've been trying to solve it now with your numbers, and am not getting the value that you listed above (-2.56E-11). At one point I get (-2.56 *10^-17), but that isn't close. Are all the numbers you provided correct?

Last edited:
ltjlogic said:
To get the q(inside) all you have to do is integrate E * 4 pi r^2 * epsilon naught * dr. Remember to get the area in terms of dr now and not dA.
The flux is just E*Area = E(at r = R)*4 pi R^2.

Doc Al said:
The flux is just E*Area = E(at r = R)*4 pi R^2.

That did it and is definitely easier than the way that I was trying to compute the answer, thanks!

And ltjlogic, your idea was what I had actually tried first. I'm not entirely sure why it doesn't work but I'm assuming it has something to with the fact the its measuring the charge on a line from the center of the sphere to r. Phi and theta are needed to complete the entire sphere. Not entirely sure on this reasoning though. Thanks for your suggestion.

Related to Total charge on an insulating sphere

What is the total charge on an insulating sphere?

The total charge on an insulating sphere is the sum of all the charges present on the surface and inside the sphere. It can be positive, negative, or zero, depending on the distribution of charges.

How is the total charge on an insulating sphere calculated?

The total charge on an insulating sphere can be calculated using the equation Q = 4πε0R3ΔV, where Q is the total charge, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, R is the radius of the sphere, and ΔV is the potential difference between the surface and the center of the sphere.

Does the shape of the insulating sphere affect its total charge?

No, the shape of the insulating sphere does not affect its total charge. As long as the distribution of charges is the same, the total charge will remain constant regardless of the shape of the sphere.

Can an insulating sphere have a net charge of zero?

Yes, an insulating sphere can have a net charge of zero. This can occur when the number of positive charges is equal to the number of negative charges, resulting in a neutral overall charge.

What factors can affect the total charge on an insulating sphere?

The total charge on an insulating sphere can be affected by the number and distribution of charges, the permittivity of the material, and the potential difference between the surface and the center of the sphere.