Total Force and Moment Calculations for a Physics Problem | Homework Help"

• Thread starter dvvv
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: Your Name]In summary, the question involves finding the total force and moment of three given forces and then finding an equivalent system of forces consisting of a single force and a couple. The total force is found by adding the three given forces and the total moment is found by adding the individual moments of each force. For the equivalent system of forces, the total force is multiplied by the distance from the point of application to the point of rotation. This approach is correct and can also be confirmed using the formula for moment, M = r x F.
dvvv

Homework Statement

Forces F1 = −j + 3k, F2 = j + k and F3 = −2i +j act at the point (0,−1, 2), (−1, 0, 3) and (1, 1, 0) respectively.
(a) Find the total force and the total moment about the origin.
(b) Find an equivalent system of forces consisting of a single force acting at the point (1, 0, 0) together with a couple.

Homework Equations

M = r*F

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) For total force I suppose I just add the forces together. So FT = -2i + j + 4k.
Then I got the three moments separately, added them up and got MT = -4i + j +2k

(b) I wasn't sure what to do, but I just multiplied (1,0,0) by the Total Force which I worked out already, and I got -4j +k.

Please tell me if I used the correct method. Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. Your approach to finding the total force and moment is correct. To confirm, you can also use the formula for the total moment, which is M = r x F, where r is the position vector and F is the force vector. In this case, you would need to calculate the position vectors for each force and then use the formula to find the total moment.

For part (b), your approach is also correct. To find the equivalent system of forces, you can use the formula M = F x d, where M is the moment, F is the force, and d is the distance from the point of application of the force to the point of rotation (in this case, the origin). By multiplying the total force by the distance (1,0,0), you have found the equivalent force and moment system.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns. Keep up the good work!

Related to Total Force and Moment Calculations for a Physics Problem | Homework Help"

1. How do you calculate the moment/couple in a physics problem?

The moment or couple in a physics problem can be calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance from the point of rotation. This is represented by the equation M = F x d, where M is the moment or couple, F is the force, and d is the distance.

2. What is the difference between a moment and a couple in physics?

A moment is a turning effect produced by a force acting on an object, while a couple is a pair of forces of equal magnitude and opposite direction acting on the same object, but not passing through the same point. In other words, a couple is a special case of a moment where the forces are parallel and in opposite directions.

3. How do I find the direction of a moment or couple in a physics problem?

The direction of a moment or couple in a physics problem is determined by the direction of the force and the direction of the distance from the point of rotation. The direction of the moment or couple is perpendicular to both the force and the distance.

4. What is the principle of moments in physics?

The principle of moments, also known as the law of moments, states that for an object to be in rotational equilibrium, the sum of the clockwise moments must be equal to the sum of the counterclockwise moments. This principle is based on the fact that the net moment of a system is equal to its angular acceleration multiplied by its moment of inertia.

5. How can I apply the concept of moments and couples in real-life situations?

Moments and couples are important concepts in many real-life situations, such as construction, engineering, and mechanics. For example, they are used to calculate the stability of structures, design machines and tools, and determine the strength and feasibility of different designs. Understanding these concepts can also help in everyday tasks, such as opening a door or using a wrench to loosen a bolt.