Total Pressure problem in a duct

• Thread starter physixlover
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary, the physical problem causing the flow separation is not known, but it is likely due to an offset used in the CFD code for static pressure. Diffusion will make the flow more messy.
physixlover
Hello
Please help me, a physical relation which my friend is facing, I'm unable to get my head around..
I created a 2D S-duct, the contours are as follows
1.Static pressure
2.Velocity contours
3. Total pressure gradient graph

intake Velocity 20m/s
Guage pressure is taken as '0' pascals

there is flow separation and reversal at + cruvature
created a rake through the duct to find out the pressure gradient

but the total pressure should be constant in duct, only static pressure changes but i was unable to find out what physical problem is causing such as change as shown in graph

Thanks in Advance

Attachments

• 20-07-2012 18-03-19.png
    20-07-2012 18-03-19.png
    17.2 KB · Views: 540
  • 20-07-2012 18-04-12.png
    20-07-2012 18-04-12.png
    12.9 KB · Views: 539
  • 20-07-2012 18-06-01.jpg
    20-07-2012 18-06-01.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 535
Physics news on Phys.org
sorry for got to attach geometry, rake view

Attachments

• 20-07-2012 18-02-39.png
    20-07-2012 18-02-39.png
    8.8 KB · Views: 550
Inviscid or viscous?

viscous, Laminar.

Thanks

In a viscous flow, total pressure won't be conserved, so it shouldn't have constant total pressure.

I also notice you have a negative static pressure, which makes no sense. That isn't physically possible.

there is probably an offset used in the CFD code for static pressure, like 101325 Pa. There are good numerical reasons for doing this. 0 Pa would then actually be 101325 Pa.

Also, the Casimir effect can cause negative pressures, but that's quantum physics, so naturally nothing works as it's supposed to.

The Casimir effect still doesn't cause negative fluid pressures. For starters, it is a quantum electrodynamic effect that occurs canonically in a vacuum. That isn't relevant in the least.

Yeah as boneh3ad said total pressure isn't conserved in viscus flows. Did you do any hand calculations as a preliminary check of your results? I don't have much CFD experience personally, but it seems strange that the flow separates only at your first curve and not the second.

ever heard "Pressure Recovery"...

a duct with 98% Pressure recovery is nice...

an "S" duct with a 96% recovery (a length-diameter ratio of say 4'ish) is good too...

if all is perfect... you will loose total pressure from boundary layer effects...

incorporate diffusion and see how messy it gets! :O

Related to Total Pressure problem in a duct

1. What is total pressure in a duct?

Total pressure in a duct is the sum of the static pressure and the dynamic pressure. It represents the combined pressure exerted by the fluid in the duct due to both its speed and its weight.

2. How is total pressure calculated in a duct?

Total pressure is calculated using Bernoulli's equation, which takes into account the static and dynamic pressures. It states that the total pressure is constant along a streamline in a steady flow.

3. Why is total pressure important in duct systems?

Total pressure is important in duct systems because it helps determine the flow rate and air velocity within the duct. It also affects the performance and efficiency of the system, as well as the amount of energy required to move the air through the duct.

4. How does total pressure vary in a duct system?

Total pressure typically decreases as the air flows through a duct due to friction and turbulence. However, it increases at locations where the air velocity increases, such as in a narrowing of the duct or at a fan outlet.

5. What are some common problems associated with total pressure in duct systems?

Some common problems include inadequate air flow due to high total pressure losses, uneven distribution of air due to improper duct design, and increased energy consumption due to high total pressure requirements. Other issues can arise from incorrect measurements or calculations of total pressure.