Total Solid Angle of 6 Squares on Unit Sphere

In summary, Niles is trying to find the total solid angle which is not covered by the projected squares on a unit sphere. He suggests an eighth and 48 as possible solutions.
Niles

Homework Statement

Hi

I am looking at a unit sphere. Two squares are projected onto the sphere on opposite ends, as shown in figure 1 (the figure only shows one square, the other one is at the opposite end).

There are two more sets of these squares, each set in its own dimension, so there are a total of six squares projected onto the sphere opposite to each other pairwise. The side of each square is 0.25 long. What I want to find is the total solid angle which is not covered by the squares.

Can I get a hint to what the easiest way to do this is? I guess I need to do the integral over θ and phi, but it isn't trivial to me what the boundaries are. Niles.

Attachments

• figure_1.JPG
    figure_1.JPG
    1.4 KB · Views: 361
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Niles! :smile:

I'd choose a quarter of a square (with a 90° angle at the centre), and multiply by 24. :wink:

Or maybe an eighth, and multiply by 48.

(Choosing half a square, cut diagonally, is a bad idea since the angle at the corner isn't 90° !)

Hi tiny-tim

Sorry for my late reply. I'm not sure I understand your suggestion, are you implying that I don't need to do any integrals? It just occurred to me that the projected squares can even be circles - does that simplify the matter?Niles.

Hi Niles! :smile:
Niles said:
… are you implying that I don't need to do any integrals?

No, you do need to integrate …

your θ will go from 0 to 90° (or 45°), and your r will go from 0 to a function of θ that you'll need to find. :wink:
It just occurred to me that the projected squares can even be circles - does that simplify the matter?

You mean a circular cap?

Then yes, that's lot easier, since your r will be constant.

tiny-tim said:
You mean a circular cap?

Yes, exactly! I was searching for that word. OK, I'll keep working on it, I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks.

Best.

Related to Total Solid Angle of 6 Squares on Unit Sphere

1. What is the definition of "Total Solid Angle"?

The total solid angle is a measure of the amount of space that a given object or shape occupies on a unit sphere. It is commonly measured in steradians (sr) and represents the total amount of surface area covered by an object when viewed from a point on the surface of the sphere.

2. How is the Total Solid Angle calculated for 6 squares on a unit sphere?

The Total Solid Angle of 6 squares on a unit sphere can be calculated by dividing the total surface area covered by the squares by the surface area of the entire sphere. This ratio is then multiplied by the total solid angle of a single square on a unit sphere, which is equal to 4π sr. The resulting value represents the total solid angle of the 6 squares on the unit sphere.

3. Is the Total Solid Angle affected by the size or shape of the squares?

Yes, the size and shape of the squares will affect the Total Solid Angle. This is because the surface area covered by each square will vary depending on its size and shape, ultimately impacting the total surface area covered by all 6 squares on the unit sphere.

4. How does the Total Solid Angle of 6 squares on a unit sphere compare to other geometric shapes?

The Total Solid Angle of 6 squares on a unit sphere is equal to the total solid angle of a cube on a unit sphere, which is 6π sr. This is because a cube can be divided into 6 squares, each with a solid angle of π/2 sr. Other geometric shapes may have different total solid angles on a unit sphere depending on their surface area and shape.

5. What is the significance of calculating the Total Solid Angle of 6 squares on a unit sphere?

Calculating the Total Solid Angle of 6 squares on a unit sphere can be useful in various fields of science, such as optics, astronomy, and physics. It can provide insights into the coverage and distribution of objects or sources on a spherical surface, and can also be used in calculations for radiation, heat transfer, and other physical phenomena.