What is the Total Variation of a Function?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the total variation of a function given specific conditions. The function involves jumps and the use of max and min points. The picture attached provides a visual representation of the concept. The total variation is determined by adding the absolute value of the changes between max and min points, as well as any jumps.
Eren10
hi,

I have to calculate total variation of this function:

1 for x< 0
sin(pi * x) for 0<= x <= 3
2 for x> 3

I could not find any example for doing this. Can someone help me ?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It is straightfoward: at x=0, the function jumps from 1 to 0 (var = 1); from 0 to pi/2, it goes from 0 up to 1 (var = 1); from pi/2 to 3pi/2, it goes down from 1 to -1 (var = 2); etc.

I'll let you do the rest. Then add up all the individual variations to get the total.

mathman said:
It is straightfoward: at x=0, the function jumps from 1 to 0 (var = 1); from 0 to pi/2, it goes from 0 up to 1 (var = 1); from pi/2 to 3pi/2, it goes down from 1 to -1 (var = 2); etc.

I'll let you do the rest. Then add up all the individual variations to get the total.
Thank you for your reply.

I had only used for the sin(pi*x) the function of the total variation( given in the picture, attached), because it is differentiable, for the other jumps I have used the same idea like you.

Do you certainly know that I should take max, min points of the sinus function ?

Attachments

• TV.jpg
    TV.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 429
Your picture doesn't appear on click.

In any case, variations are always the absolute value of the change between max and min points, plus jumps as needed. For the sine, these are π/2 + kπ, for any integer k.

Again, thank you. For me it is now clear.

this picture makes it also very clear, from wikipedia, As the green ball travels on the graph of the given function, the length of the path traveled by that ball's projection on the y-axis, shown as a red ball, is the total variation of the function.
Total_variation.gif

Related to What is the Total Variation of a Function?

1. What is the definition of Total Variation of a function?

The Total Variation of a function is a measure of the overall change in a function over a given interval. It is calculated by finding the sum of the absolute values of the differences between consecutive values of the function.

2. How is Total Variation used in signal processing?

In signal processing, Total Variation is used to measure the amount of noise or variation in a signal. It can help identify and reduce noise in signals, making them clearer and easier to analyze.

3. Can Total Variation be negative?

No, Total Variation is always a non-negative value. This is because it is calculated by taking the absolute values of differences, which are always positive numbers.

4. What is the difference between Total Variation and Mean Absolute Deviation?

Both Total Variation and Mean Absolute Deviation (MAD) are measures of variation in a dataset. However, MAD measures the average absolute difference from the mean, while Total Variation measures the total absolute difference between consecutive values.

5. How can Total Variation be minimized in a function?

Total Variation can be minimized by smoothing or filtering the function to reduce noise and variation. This can be done using various techniques such as averaging, median filtering, or applying a low-pass filter.