Touching Conducting Spheres of Different Size

In summary, the charge on A is conserved after the first time it is touched by B, and the charge on B is conserved after the first time it is touched by A.
royblaze

Homework Statement

Two uncharged conductors A and B are of different sizes. They are charged as follows:

1. A is charged via an electrostatic generator to charge q

2. A is briefly touched to B.

3. Steps 1 and 2 are repeated until the charge on B reaches a maximum value.

If the final charge on B is 3q, what was the charge on A after the first time it touched B?

Homework Equations

Charge is conserved, and must be distributed evenly between conducting material (?).

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that when you have two conductors touch, the net charge between them should be shared. I used something along the lines of

(Ainitial + Binitial) / 2

To get what to "share" between the two. I'm just unsure if that's how to approach it.

Physics news on Phys.org
royblaze said:
I know that when you have two conductors touch, the net charge between them should be shared. .

You are right, the charge will be shared. There is something that drives the charges from one sphere to the other one, till this something becomes equal for both spheres. What is that? ehild

What is it? Um... the intrinsic nature of conductors to allow the free movement of electrons??

:confused:

Let's try the opposite question. When will not go any charge from one conductor to the other when they touch each other?

ehild

When they are of equal charge

What do you think, will not charge flow from a very small sphere to a very big one when they have equal charge?

ehild

When they have equal charge... more charge will go into the larger one?? Because it can accommodate it??

Yes, the bigger sphere can accommodate more charge, but why?

Have you studied Electrostatics? Have you heard about Coulomb's Law, electric field, electric potential, capacitors, how is the charge distributed on a conductor?
I suggest to read your notes and books. I can not help more.

ehild

Ah, I read up on conductors and equipotentials... the potentials are equal on both when they touch and so I can set up an equation equating them, taking the "loss" of q that is "put" on to the other conducting sphere.

Thanks! I got the answer. :D

I am relieved ...

ehild

Related to Touching Conducting Spheres of Different Size

1. What is the purpose of touching conducting spheres of different size?

The purpose of touching conducting spheres of different size is to demonstrate the principles of electrostatics and how charge is distributed on the surface of conductors.

2. How does the size of the spheres affect the charge distribution?

The size of the spheres affects the charge distribution by changing the surface area available for charge to accumulate. Larger spheres have a larger surface area, allowing for more charge to be distributed, while smaller spheres have a smaller surface area and can only hold a smaller amount of charge.

3. What happens when two spheres of the same size are touched together?

When two spheres of the same size are touched together, the charge is evenly distributed between the two spheres, resulting in both spheres having the same charge and potential.

4. Can spheres of different materials be used for this experiment?

Yes, spheres of different materials can be used, as long as they are good conductors. This is because the charge distribution on the surface of the spheres depends on their ability to conduct electricity.

5. Are there any real-world applications for this experiment?

Yes, this experiment can help us understand the behavior of electric charges and how they interact with conductors. This knowledge is useful in many applications, such as designing electrical circuits and understanding lightning formation.

Back