Tough exponential integral (QM, Variational Principle)

In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt at solving an integral problem involving a Hamiltonian. The first part of the integral is calculable, but the second term containing V_{0} cannot be evaluated with Maple or Wolfram. A tip is given to rearrange the second term, but it does not match up with the given Hamiltonian. The person asks for extra help and is advised to start over and integrate over all three dimensions using the correct volume element for spherical coordinates.
xago

Homework Statement

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/224/32665300.png

The Attempt at a Solution

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/2920/scan0003xo.jpg

I've uploaded my work so far since its much faster than typing and I'm stuck on the last line trying to solve the integral.
The first part of the integral is calculable but the second term(containing [itex]V_{0}[/itex]) doesn't evaluate with Maple or Wolfram.
On the question sheet it gives the hint that [itex]\int dx x^{n} e^{-\alpha x}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{n!}{\alpha^{n+1}}[/itex] which leads me to rearrange the 2nd term to -2[itex]V_{0}[/itex][itex]\alpha[/itex]a*[itex]e^{r\frac{(-1-2\alpha a)}{a}}[/itex]*[itex]r^{-1}[/itex]
According to the tip, [itex]\int e^{r\frac{(-1-2\alpha a)}{a}}[/itex]*[itex]r^{-1}[/itex] is equal to [itex]\frac{(-1)!}{\frac{(-1-2\alpha a)}{a}^{-1+1}}[/itex] which is just -1.
This doesn't seem to match up with the given Hamiltonian on the problem set so I'm asking for some extra help on this,

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to start over from the beginning. You need to integrate over all three dimensions, not just over r. Also, don't forget to use the correct volume element for spherical coordinates.

Related to Tough exponential integral (QM, Variational Principle)

1. What is the tough exponential integral in quantum mechanics?

The tough exponential integral is a mathematical tool used in quantum mechanics to solve for the energy of a system using the variational principle. It is also known as the variational integral or the Rayleigh-Ritz quotient.

2. How is the tough exponential integral used in the variational principle?

The tough exponential integral is used to approximate the ground state energy of a quantum mechanical system. It is calculated by finding the minimum value of the integral, which represents the energy of the system.

3. What is the connection between the tough exponential integral and the variational method?

The tough exponential integral is a key component of the variational method, which is a mathematical approach to solving for the energy of a system in quantum mechanics. The variational method involves choosing a trial wavefunction and using the tough exponential integral to calculate the energy associated with that wavefunction.

4. Can the tough exponential integral be used for systems with multiple particles?

Yes, the tough exponential integral can be used for systems with multiple particles. In this case, the integral becomes a multi-dimensional function that must be minimized in order to find the ground state energy of the system.

5. Are there any limitations to using the tough exponential integral in quantum mechanics?

Yes, there are some limitations to using the tough exponential integral in quantum mechanics. It is most commonly used for systems with a finite number of particles and does not work well for systems with an infinite number of particles. Additionally, the variational principle and the tough exponential integral may not always give an exact solution, but rather an approximation.