Trace of the fundamental commutation relation

In summary, the conversation discusses the trace of operators A and B and the commutator between x and p. The issue arises when dealing with unbounded operators on an infinite-dimensional Hilbert space. The proof presented is not wrong, but the value of the trace depends on the basis chosen. This is similar to the commutation relations for spin where the trace of the Pauli matrices is zero. The possibility of obtaining a set of equations to solve for x and p is also mentioned.
daudaudaudau
Hi.

So I have learned that this holds for the trace if A and B are two operators: [itex]\text{Tr}(AB)=\text{Tr}(BA)[/itex]. Now I take the trace of the commutator between [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]p[/itex]: [itex]\text{Tr}(xp)-\text{Tr}(px)=\text{Tr}(xp)-\text{Tr}(xp)=0[/itex]. But the commutator of x and p is [itex]i\hbar[/itex]. Certainly the trace of [itex]i\hbar[/itex] is not zero. What is wrong here?

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem is that x and p are unbounded operators on an infinite-dimensional Hilbert space; therefore certain relations known from finite-dimensional matrices do no-longer hold.

So what's wrong with this "proof":

[tex]\text{Tr}(AB)=\sum_n \langle n|AB|n\rangle = \sum_n\sum_m\langle n|A|m\rangle\langle m|B|n\rangle=\sum_n\sum_m\langle m|B|n\rangle\langle n|A|m\rangle=\sum_m \langle m|BA|m\rangle=\text{Tr}(BA)[/tex]

Nothing is wrong with your proof, only that for the operators A=x and B=p Tr(AB) and Tr(BA) are undefined or the value of the trace depends on the basis chosen. As tom.stoer said, the class of operators for which the trace is finite and independent of the basis chosen is only a small subset of the bounded operators (so called trace class operators) while most operators we are interested in in quantum mechanics are unbounded.

Okay I see. I was just considering this question because I was looking at the commutation relations for spin. In that case the trace of the Pauli matrices is actually zero. Just from writing up the commutation relations I obtained a set of equations that I could solve and determine the Pauli matrices... I just wanted to see if a similar thing was possible with x and p.

Related to Trace of the fundamental commutation relation

1. What is the trace of the fundamental commutation relation?

The trace of the fundamental commutation relation is a mathematical concept that represents the sum of the diagonal elements of a matrix. In the context of quantum mechanics, it refers to the commutator of two operators, which is a mathematical operation that measures the non-commutativity of the operators.

2. Why is the trace of the fundamental commutation relation important?

The trace of the fundamental commutation relation is important because it is a fundamental property of quantum mechanics. It plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of quantum systems and is used in many calculations and equations in quantum mechanics.

3. How is the trace of the fundamental commutation relation calculated?

The trace of the fundamental commutation relation is calculated by taking the sum of the diagonal elements of the commutator matrix. This can be done by multiplying the operators, taking the difference between the two products, and then summing the diagonal elements.

4. What is the physical significance of the trace of the fundamental commutation relation?

The physical significance of the trace of the fundamental commutation relation lies in its connection to the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics. The trace is related to the product of the uncertainties of two operators, and its value can give insight into the behavior and properties of quantum systems.

5. Can the trace of the fundamental commutation relation have a negative value?

No, the trace of the fundamental commutation relation cannot have a negative value. The trace is always a real, non-negative number. This is because it represents the sum of the squared uncertainties of two operators, which cannot be negative in quantum mechanics.