Trace of the Stress-Energy Tensor Zero?

In summary, the person is trying to solve an equation for the stress energy tensor, but is struggling. They mention that the trace of the stress energy tensor is zero, and that the definition of it is using four Pi indices. They state that the proof is just a matter of using the metric tensor and raising and lowering indices. They also mention that if you have any term with multiple factors, the dummy summation index for that term should appear once and only once. They say that there is a general rule for how to space indices in LaTeX, and that if you are having trouble with an equation, you should look at our posts on the subject.
fluidistic
Gold Member
0. Homework Statement
Hi guys,
I must show that the trace of the stress energy tensor is zero.
The definition of it is ##T^{\mu \nu }=\frac{1}{4\pi} \left ( F^{\mu \sigma } F^{\nu \rho} \eta _{\sigma \rho}-\frac{1}{4} \eta ^{\mu \nu } F^{\sigma \rho} F_{\sigma \rho} \right )##.

1. The attempt at a solution
I know it's pure algebraic manipulations but for some reason I get stuck. Trace is ##T^\mu _\mu =\eta_{\mu\nu}T^{\mu\nu}=\frac{1}{4\pi}\left ( \eta_{\mu\nu}F^{\mu\rho}F^{\nu\rho}\eta _{\sigma\rho} - \frac{1}{4} \eta_{\mu\nu}\eta^{\mu\nu}F^{\sigma\rho}F_{\sigma \rho}\right )##
##=\frac{1}{4\pi}\left ( F^\sigma _\nu F^\nu_\sigma-\frac{1}{4} \delta ^\mu _\mu F^{\sigma \rho}F_{\sigma \rho} \right ) = \frac{1}{4\pi} \left ( F^\sigma _\nu F^\nu _\sigma - F^{\sigma\rho}F_{\sigma \rho} \right )##.
This is where I'm stuck. I don't know how to show that the terms in the parenthesis are equal; if they are. I'd appreciate any comment. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all it is of utmost importance to thoroughly keep track about the indices. Thus you should write
[tex]F^{\mu \nu} \eta_{\nu \rho}={F^{\mu}}_{\rho},[/tex]
because the Faraday tensor is antisymmetric.

Given that caveat you are already done with your prove. You just have to use that
[tex]{F^{\sigma}}_{\nu} {F_{\sigma}}^{\nu}=F^{\sigma \nu} F_{\sigma \nu}.[/tex]
Just prove this identity!

Just to add on a bit, you can raise and lower indices under contraction at whim in this context. So you can just say ##F^{\sigma}{}{}_{\nu}F_{\sigma}{}{}^{\nu} = F_{\sigma\nu}F^{\sigma\nu}##. All this is just from implicitly using the metric tensor to raise and lower indices twice (recall what I told you about musical isomorphisms). You can do this with as much fluidity as you want, without having to show that you're actually using the metric tensor each time; after a while the operation of raising and lower indices will become natural and you'll be doing it almost subconsciously in your calculations :)

Thanks guys but I still don't understand anything nor why my attempt fails:
##F^\sigma _\nu F^\nu _\sigma =F^{\sigma \rho}\eta _{\rho \nu}\eta ^{\nu \rho}F _{\sigma \rho}=F^{\sigma \rho} \delta ^\nu _\rho F_{\sigma \rho}=4F^{\sigma \rho}F_{\sigma \rho}##.

fluidistic said:
Thanks guys but I still don't understand anything nor why my attempt fails:
##F^\sigma _\nu F^\nu _\sigma =F^{\sigma \rho}\eta _{\rho \nu}\eta ^{\nu \rho}F _{\sigma \rho}##.

On the right, you've used the notation ##\rho## for the dummy summation index for the first two factors and then you used the same notation ##\rho## for the dummy summation index for the last two factors. But the dummy summation index for the last two factors is completely independent of the dummy summation index for the first two factors. So, you can use ##\rho## for the summation index for the first two factors, but you should use some other notation for the summation index for the last two factors.

A general rule is that if you have any term made up of any number of factors, a dummy summation index in that term should appear once and only once as an upper index and once and only once as a lower index.

By the way, you should take a look at our posts to see how to get the indices spaced correctly in ##\LaTeX##. It's not clear whether ##F^\mu_\nu## means ##F^\mu{}_\nu## or ##F_\nu{}^\mu##.

TSny said:
On the right, you've used the notation ##\rho## for the dummy summation index for the first two factors and then you used the same notation ##\rho## for the dummy summation index for the last two factors. But the dummy summation index for the last two factors is completely independent of the dummy summation index for the first two factors. So, you can use ##\rho## for the summation index for the first two factors, but you should use some other notation for the summation index for the last two factors.

A general rule is that if you have any term made up of any number of factors, a dummy summation index in that term should appear once and only once as an upper index and once and only once as a lower index.
Ah I see, thanks... I hope I got it right in my next attempt.
vela said:
By the way, you should take a look at our posts to see how to get the indices spaced correctly in ##\LaTeX##. It's not clear whether ##F^\mu_\nu## means ##F^\mu{}_\nu## or ##F_\nu{}^\mu##.
Oh I see, I never paid any attention to this, didn't know there was a difference between ##F^\mu{}_\nu## and ##F_\nu{}^\mu##.
New attempt but still stuck: ##F^\sigma{}_\nu F_\sigma{}^\nu =F^{\sigma \chi}\eta _{\chi \nu}\eta _{\sigma\alpha}F^{\alpha \nu}##. I don't see how I could simplify this to ##F^{\sigma\nu}F_{\sigma\nu}##.

fluidistic said:
Ah I see, thanks... I hope I got it right in my next attempt.

Oh I see, I never paid any attention to this, didn't know there was a difference between ##F^\mu{}_\nu## and ##F_\nu{}^\mu##.
New attempt but still stuck: ##F^\sigma{}_\nu F_\sigma{}^\nu =F^{\sigma \chi}\eta _{\chi \nu}\eta _{\sigma\alpha}F^{\alpha \nu}##. I don't see how I could simplify this to ##F^{\sigma\nu}F_{\sigma\nu}##.

To get closer to you what you want you should raise the ##\nu## in the first factor of ##F^\sigma{}_\nu F_\sigma{}^\nu## and lower it in the second.

Just use your two instances of the metric tensor to lower both indices on ##F^{\alpha\nu}##.

And yes ##F^{\mu}{}{}_{\nu}## is definitely not the same as ##F_{\nu}{}{}^{\mu}## unless the tensor in question is symmetric.

Likes 1 person
Thanks guys, I finally got the tooth out of the mouth. It was worst than a tooth extraction for me.
Here is my attempt, this time I think I got it: ##F^\sigma{}_\nu F_\sigma{}^\nu =F^{\sigma \chi}\eta _{\chi \nu}\eta _{\sigma\alpha}F^{\alpha \nu}=F^{\sigma\chi} \eta_{\chi\nu}F_\sigma{}^\nu=F^{\sigma\chi}\eta_{\chi\nu}(-F^\nu{}_\sigma)=-F^{\sigma\chi}F_{\chi\sigma}=F^{\chi\sigma}F_{\chi\sigma}##.

fluidistic said:
Thanks guys, I finally got the tooth out of the mouth. It was worst than a tooth extraction for me.
Here is my attempt, this time I think I got it: ##F^\sigma{}_\nu F_\sigma{}^\nu =F^{\sigma \chi}\eta _{\chi \nu}\eta _{\sigma\alpha}F^{\alpha \nu}=F^{\sigma\chi} \eta_{\chi\nu}F_\sigma{}^\nu=F^{\sigma\chi}\eta_{\chi\nu}(-F^\nu{}_\sigma)=-F^{\sigma\chi}F_{\chi\sigma}=F^{\chi\sigma}F_{\chi\sigma}##.

That's fine. But you really didn't need to use antisymmetry. ##\eta_{\chi\nu}F_\sigma{} ^\nu=F_{\sigma\chi}##. Alternatively, ##F^\sigma{}_\nu F_\sigma{}^\nu = F^{\sigma \alpha} \eta_{\alpha \nu} \eta^{\beta \nu} F_{\sigma \beta}##. The product of the two etas in the middle is ##\delta^\beta_\alpha##.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Dick said:
That's fine. But you really didn't need to use antisymmetry. ##\eta_{\chi\nu}F_\sigma{} ^\nu=F_{\sigma\chi}##. Alternatively, ##F^\sigma{}_\nu F_\sigma{}^\nu = F^{\sigma \alpha} \eta_{\alpha \nu} \eta^{\beta \nu} F_{\sigma \beta}##. The product of the two etas in the middle is ##\delta^\beta_\alpha##.
Thanks, I see. And to finish this off, the delta is worth the identity for alpha=beta and worth the zero matrix otherwise right? So that one falls over the solution.

fluidistic said:
Thanks, I see. And to finish this off, the delta is worth the identity for alpha=beta and worth the zero matrix otherwise right? So that one falls over the solution.

It's worth 1 if alpha=beta and 0 otherwise (not matrices). So it gives you ##F^{\sigma \alpha}F_{\sigma \alpha}## for example, which is equivalent to what you want. I'm not sure what 'falls over the solution means'.

Related to Trace of the Stress-Energy Tensor Zero?

1. What is the stress-energy tensor?

The stress-energy tensor is a mathematical object in the field of physics that describes the distribution of energy and momentum in a given space. It is an essential component in Einstein's theory of general relativity and plays a crucial role in understanding how matter and energy interact with the fabric of space-time.

2. How is the stress-energy tensor calculated?

The stress-energy tensor is calculated using the Einstein field equations, which relate the curvature of space-time to the distribution of matter and energy. It can also be derived from the Lagrangian density, which is a mathematical construct used in field theory to describe the dynamics of a system.

3. What does the stress-energy tensor represent?

The stress-energy tensor represents the density of energy and momentum at a particular point in space-time. It includes components such as mass, energy, pressure, and shear stress, and describes how these quantities are distributed throughout the universe.

4. How does the stress-energy tensor relate to gravitational fields?

The stress-energy tensor is directly related to the curvature of space-time, which is responsible for the force of gravity. It is through the stress-energy tensor that the presence of matter and energy can create a gravitational field and influence the motion of objects in space.

5. What are some practical applications of the stress-energy tensor?

The stress-energy tensor has numerous applications in physics, including in cosmology, astrophysics, and particle physics. It is used to study the behavior of matter and energy in extreme environments, such as black holes and the early universe, and to make predictions about the behavior of elementary particles. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the expansion of the universe and the dynamics of gravitational waves.