Tracked Down: How My Friend Found Me on Physicsforums.com

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about the speaker's friend finding them on a physics forum and recognizing them as the "penguin guy" due to their behavior and profile pictures on social media. They discuss how much personality can be identified through forum posts and joke about leaving a trail of penguin poop. The speaker also mentions that a lot of people on the forum call them Jimmy.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
My friend messaged me on facebook one day randomly and in the course of our discussion, he said "do you ever go to this physicsforums.com?". My friend just graduated with his MS as well. I answered "yes". He then asks "Are you the penguin guy"... and i was just like "...maybe".

How in the world did he find me?

So I guess if anyone's wondering, i really do act this way in reality.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe there was some info that gave it away in some of your posts.

He said "it sounded like you". GIGGLE

Silly pengwuin is silly.

Pengwuino said:
He said "it sounded like you". GIGGLE

:smile: So, if he knows you're here and the penguin, that must mean he's at least been lurking, or maybe is a member here too. How about telling him he needs to sign up and/or let us know he's a friend of the penguin. :biggrin:

So he by chance reads this forum, saw a guy (you) that sounds like a guy he knows (you) and decided to ask you if it's you? Talk about a shot in the dark. Really, how much personality can you recognize from forum posts?

Or maybe your friend on facebook is actually your second personality due to your unperceived severe case of schizophrenia.

Lets see, you both are on facebook, you both are on this forum, and you both just graduated with MS degrees, and at least one of you can identify the others persona on the internet. Yep, I would say that you and your friend are in fact the same penguin.

When you left a trail of penguin poop that could be seen from space, what was to be expected? Of course you'd be tracked down!

Perhaps it was the penguin suit that you are wearing in your face-book picture. :smile:

or maybe... his leftover fish bones was spread all around! :biggrin:

physics girl phd said:
When you left a trail of penguin poop that could be seen from space, what was to be expected? Of course you'd be tracked down!

:smile: I had forgotten about that!

leroyjenkens said:
Really, how much personality can you recognize from forum posts?
Haha. You can get quite an accurate understanding of someone's personality through only text. :)

Since I started posting, a lot of people call me Jimmy. Who knew that PF was so popular?

jimmysnyder said:
Since I started posting, a lot of people call me Jimmy. Who knew that PF was so popular?

That's OK...Jimmy is a great name (or so I've been told).

physics girl phd said:

:smile: :smile: :smile:

I also just realized my myspace picture is penguin themed... maybe that helped.

Pengwuino said:
:smile: :smile: :smile:

I also just realized my myspace picture is penguin themed... maybe that helped.
Did you mention in myspace that you LOVE Sonic ice? That's a bit of a giveaway...

We all share more than we realize.

FAQ: Tracked Down: How My Friend Found Me on Physicsforums.com

1. How did your friend find you on Physicsforums.com?

My friend used the search feature on Physicsforums.com and searched for my username or any keywords related to my posts.

2. Is it common for friends to find each other on Physicsforums.com?

It depends on the individuals' interests and the topics being discussed on the forum. If both friends are interested in the same topics and actively participate in discussions, then it is possible for them to find each other on the forum.

3. Were you surprised when your friend found you on Physicsforums.com?

Yes, I was surprised because I did not expect my friend to be interested in the same topics and to be active on the forum. It was a pleasant surprise and we were both excited to connect on a different platform.

4. Did your friend's discovery of you on Physicsforums.com lead to any collaborations or projects?

Yes, we ended up collaborating on a project related to our common interests. It was a great opportunity to work together and learn from each other's perspectives and knowledge.

5. Do you think Physicsforums.com is a good platform for networking and connecting with like-minded individuals?

Absolutely. Physicsforums.com is a great platform for networking and connecting with individuals who share similar interests and knowledge in the field of science and physics. It provides opportunities for collaboration and expanding one's network within the scientific community.