Tractive effort using D'alemberts principles

• Thread starter Dantex460
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a vehicle of mass 750kg accelerating up an incline with an incline of 1 in 10. The goal is to determine the tractive effort, work done, and average power developed using D'Alembert's principles. The conversation also mentions using energy methods to confirm the answers. However, the individual attempting the solution makes several errors and is advised to start from scratch due to missing concepts and incorrect application of equations.
Dantex460
Hello this is my last questions i have to finish the year, the problem I'm having is finding the correct way to work it out. I've looked at others but there their problem has differences and what units to use.

Homework Statement

A vehicle of mass 750kg accelerates up an incline of 1 in 10 (sine) increasing its speed from 20 kmh^-1 to 60 kmh^-1 in a time of 8.5 second; if the frictional resistance to motion is 0.5kN. making use of D'alembert's principles; Determine:

1. the tractive effort between the driving wheels and the road surface.
2. the work done during the period of acceleration
3. the average power developed
4. use energy method to confirm your answers in 2.

Homework Equations

1. tractive effort = change in ke + change in pe
pe= mgh
ke= 1/2MV
initial ke = mass/2 x v(intial time)^2
final ke = mass/2 x v(end time)^2
time taken = change in velocity/acceleration
work done = fs
power = work done/time taken

The Attempt at a Solution

1. tractive effort

initial Ke = 750kg/2 x (no initial time so i used 1) = 375
final Ke = 750kg/2 x 8.5^2 = 27093.75
change in Ke = 27093 - 375 = 26718

Pe = 750 x 9.81 x 40sin( I'm not sure how to get height

2. work done = f x (20kmh - 60kmh) = f x 40kmh
acceleration = v^2(final time) - (time taken)8.5^2/2s
f = 750kg x acceleration

3. power = work/8.5s

Thank you very much for any help in advanced.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ouch, you are making all sorts of errors. Are you familiar with D'Alembert's Principle? If not, at least use Newton's laws, although the problem asks otherwise; anyway, your only attempt was (incorrectly) using energy methods.

Tractive effort is the tires driving force that acts uphill (gravity and friction act downhill). You have shown it as an energy change, which is wrong.
Check your equation for Kinetic Energy!
Convert km/hr to m/s for consistency in units.
You have different equations for work done. Check your change in energy equation .

It is also unclear whether the problem is looking for net average power or just the average power delivered by the engine. I'm guessing net work (total work) done.

You've got to start again from scratch on this one. There are lots of concepts you are missing or not applying correctly.

Related to Tractive effort using D'alemberts principles

1. What is tractive effort?

Tractive effort is the force that is applied by a vehicle or machine to move or pull a load, typically along a surface or through a medium such as water or air.

2. How is tractive effort calculated using D'alembert's principles?

D'alembert's principle states that the net force acting on a body is equal to its mass times its acceleration. To calculate tractive effort using this principle, we must consider the mass of the vehicle or machine, as well as the acceleration it experiences while pulling a load.

3. What factors affect tractive effort?

The factors that affect tractive effort include the weight and mass of the vehicle or machine, the type and condition of the surface or medium it is moving on, and any additional load it is pulling.

4. How is tractive effort different from other types of force?

Tractive effort is specifically used to describe the force applied by a vehicle or machine to move a load. It is different from other types of force such as friction or drag, which may also act on the vehicle or machine but do not contribute to its movement.

5. Why is tractive effort an important concept in engineering?

Tractive effort is an important concept in engineering because it helps engineers design and optimize vehicles and machines for efficient movement. It also allows them to calculate the required power and energy needed to move a load, which is crucial for the operation and performance of various transportation systems and industrial equipment.