Trajectory of object around the moon as function of time

In summary, there is no easy way to describe the trajectory of a spacecraft as it travels around the Moon. The most common method is to use numerical calculations, but this can be challenging due to factors such as the Moon's mascons. The Apollo engineers used approximations and a technique called "patched conic" to successfully navigate the spacecraft, but even with these methods, there were still some incidents where the spacecraft's orbit drastically changed and ultimately resulted in a crash.
Henriklm
Hello :-)

I'am trying to figure out how to describe a trajectory of an object as a function of time. The object is a spacecraft and it sets of from Earth, travels around the moon, and then heads back to Earth.

http://courses.ncssm.edu/math/NCSSM%20Student%20Materials/InvestigationsTrimester%203/Moon.pdf

I found a solution to this in this pdf (p. 5-6), but I have some questions.

I want to find r(t)= ( x(t) y(t) ). This pdf points me in the right direction (i think), but I how can I find the acceleration in the x and y directions? I´ve tried different things, but I always end up a very frustrating loop, where everything is dependent of each other.

I´ve also look at Keple's laws, but i can't find a solution where i get r(t)= ( x(t) y(t) ). Instead I get r("angle") = ( x("angle") y("angle") ).

Thank you :-D

Henrik

Astronomy news on Phys.org
This is a three body problem and it is does not involve one of the five Lagrange points. There is no solution in the elementary functions.

Thanks for the answer :-)

Hmm okay, I've read that somewhere before, just didn't understand what it meant.

Can it be solved numerically? Or is there another convenient way to descripe the trajectory?

Yes, it can be solved numerically. If you want an accurate answer that is the way to go.But not so much back in the 1960s. Computers then were downright pathetic by modern standards. The CPU in a smart phone is about twice as powerful as top-of-the-line 1960s era mainframe, and that computer was housed in a huge special purpose room about the size of a high school gymnasium. The Apollo engineers employed a variety of approximations to arrive at answers that were close enough. Google the term "patched conic".

Nice! :D Must have been quite a task for NASA then.

How can I get a computer to solve it numerically? I can calculate the acceleration in the x and y direction at a given position, an then calculate the new velocity and position, and then start over, but I need to define an equation to do this in a computer, right? How would these equations look like?

I'm using Mathcad 2001i Professional.

Last edited:
One gotcha if you were planning close approach: Moon & Mars have mascons, which mean that the local gravity field is *lumpy* and cannot be modeled as a uniform sphere or spheroid beyond first approximation. IIRC, Apollo circum-lunar orbits were subject to several scary seconds of 'jitter' on each pass, amounting to many kilometres of positioning error and much hair-tearing, until NASA devised corrections...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_concentration_(astronomy)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, i didn't know that.

But I think i'll just calculate it as uniform sphere, just to keep it simple ;-)

An interesting article on lunar mascons: http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2006/06nov_loworbit/
Instead, something bizarre happened.

The orbit of PFS-2 rapidly changed shape and distance from the Moon. In 2-1/2 weeks the satellite was swooping to within a hair-raising 6 miles (10 km) of the lunar surface at closest approach. As the orbit kept changing, PFS-2 backed off again, until it seemed to be a safe 30 miles away. But not for long: inexorably, the subsatellite's orbit carried it back toward the Moon. And on May 29, 1972—only 35 days and 425 orbits after its release—PFS-2 crashed.​

Related to Trajectory of object around the moon as function of time

1. How does the trajectory of an object around the moon change over time?

The trajectory of an object around the moon is affected by the gravitational pull of the moon, which is not uniform. This means that the object's path will constantly change over time as it orbits the moon. Additionally, factors such as the object's initial velocity and any external forces acting on it can also impact its trajectory.

2. What is the shape of the trajectory of an object around the moon?

The trajectory of an object around the moon can vary depending on the object's initial conditions. However, in most cases, the trajectory will be elliptical in shape, with the moon at one of the two foci of the ellipse. This is due to the moon's gravitational pull, which causes the object to accelerate towards it.

3. How does the mass of the object affect its trajectory around the moon?

The mass of an object does not directly affect its trajectory around the moon. However, the mass of the moon itself can have an impact on the trajectory, as it determines the strength of its gravitational pull. Additionally, a more massive object may require a greater amount of force to achieve the necessary velocity and escape the moon's gravitational pull.

4. Can an object's trajectory around the moon change suddenly?

Yes, an object's trajectory around the moon can change suddenly due to a number of factors. For example, if the object collides with another object or experiences a sudden change in velocity, its trajectory will be affected. Additionally, external forces such as solar wind or gravitational forces from other celestial bodies can also cause sudden changes in the object's trajectory.

5. Is there a specific equation to calculate the trajectory of an object around the moon?

Yes, the trajectory of an object around the moon can be calculated using the equation for orbital motion, which takes into account the object's mass, initial velocity, and the gravitational constant. However, this equation may need to be modified depending on the specific conditions of the object's trajectory, such as the presence of other forces or the shape of the moon's gravitational field.