Transfer function to Pole-Zero Plot to Impulse Response Curve

In summary, the question asks to convert a given transfer function into pole-zero form, sketch the positions of the poles and zeros on the complex plane, and sketch the impulse response corresponding to each pole. The transfer function is g(s)=1/((s^2)+(18s)+181). The roots of the denominator are (s+(5-8j)) and (s+(5+8j)), leading to a pole-zero form of g(s)=1/((s+(5-8j))(s+(5+8j))). The diagram of poles and zeros will have no zeros and two poles at (-5,8) and (-5,-8) on the complex plane. The next step is to use linearity to sketch
Bi1a1

Homework Statement

The question gives a transfer function. and we are asked to put it into pole zero form and then we are asked to sketch the positions of the poles and zeros of the system on the complex plane and then sketch the impulse response corresponding to each pole.

i have uploaded a MATLAB image of my pole-zero plot.
i can do the whole question on MATLAB but that doesn't help with understanding how to solve it.

Homework Equations

g(s)=1/((s^2)+(18s)+181) ------- Transfer Function

The Attempt at a Solution

roots of transfer function denominator: ((s^2)+(18s)+181) = (s+(5-8j))(s+(5+8j))

therefore pole zero form:

g(s)=1/((s+(5-8j))(s+(5+8j)))

therefore the diagram of the poles and zeros would have no zeros and two poles at (-5,8) and another at (-5,-8) (Real axis,Imaginary Axis)

i can do upto this part but i am not understanding how to sketch the impulse response curve.

any help would be great.

Thank You.

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 738
Physics news on Phys.org
1.What is the transfer function of an impulse?

2. Remember linearity? Let F(s) = L{f(t)}, then

if F(s) = F1(s) + F2(s) + ...

Then f(t) = L-1{F1(s)} + L-1{F2(s)} + ...

Last edited:

FAQ: Transfer function to Pole-Zero Plot to Impulse Response Curve

1. What is a transfer function?

A transfer function is a mathematical representation of the relationship between an input signal and an output signal of a system. It describes how the system responds to different frequencies of the input signal.

2. What is a Pole-Zero Plot?

A Pole-Zero Plot is a graphical representation of the transfer function. It shows the location of the poles and zeros in the complex plane, which provides information about the stability and frequency response of the system.

3. How is a Pole-Zero Plot related to the transfer function?

The Pole-Zero Plot is derived from the transfer function. The poles and zeros of the transfer function are plotted on the complex plane, with the poles represented by x marks and the zeros represented by circles. The location of these poles and zeros can help determine the behavior of the system.

4. What is an Impulse Response Curve?

An Impulse Response Curve is a plot of the output signal of a system when an impulse input signal is applied. It represents the response of the system to a short burst of energy at time zero, and can provide information about the characteristics of the system.

5. How is the Impulse Response Curve related to the transfer function?

The Impulse Response Curve is the inverse Fourier transform of the transfer function. It can be used to determine the transfer function of a system by applying an inverse Fourier transform to the measured impulse response.

Back