Transfer of forces from a pulley to a beam

In summary: Do you want me to explain the equation in more detail?In summary, the homework statement asks if the reaction moment force M at the end of the beam is dependent on the radius of the pulley. Method 1 yields the same moment as method 2, but Method 1 assumes that the radius of the pulley is known.
MartinLoland

Homework Statement

I am trying to understand how forces transfer from a wheel / pulley onto a beam, and then calculating the resulting moment. The image describe the problem.

trinser.png

The rope is in tension with force "S", the wheel/pulley can rotate freely without any friction.

Homework Equations

[/B]
M = force*distance

The Attempt at a Solution

Method 1: If we look at the global system it should be ok to use the force*distance to find the resulting moment M.

Method 2: If we first calculate the forces acting between the pulley and the beam and then isolate the beam we should be able to find the moment.

I thought method two would be right because the pulley don't transfer moment, but then again we should also be able to look at it as a global system. Which one is correct and why doesn't the other one work? Thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you shown that the two methods are really different ?
Do you let the two S act at the correct point in method 2 ?

BvU said:
Have you shown that the two methods are really different ?
In theory the two methods shouldn't produce any differences. But if we look at the pulley as a isolated system and find the x and y forces acting in the bearing we are only left with M, but since the two S are producing the same moment with equal distance r my understanding is that M=0 in the bearing. Since the beam and pulley are connected in the frictionless bearing a can only see that the x and y component described in the picture are transferred to the beam.

When you say
Hmm, I can't see how I should set the forces differently

MartinLoland said:
Hmm, I can't see how I should set the forces differently
Simple case ##\theta = \pi/2##. You let the horizontal S act at the height of the beam instead of (idem + r) and the vertical S at the end of the beam instead of (idem + r) -- but I do see the additional moments cancel, so perhaps that's what you mean ?

Likes MartinLoland
BvU said:
but I do see the additional moments cancel, so perhaps that's what you mean ?
Yes, if you use method 2 the moment cancels out in the pulley so you are left with a smaller M than what you get with method 1. Is it wrong to do a global analysis as in method 1 when you have freely rotating wheels in that system?

Another way of stating the problem: Is the reaction moment force M at the end of the beam dependent on the radius of the pulley r?

MartinLoland said:
Is the reaction moment force M at the end of the beam dependent on the radius of the pulley r?
So my reasoning yields answer: no.

Now we want to show that method 1 gives the same moment as method 2 ...

Likes MartinLoland
BvU said:
So my reasoning yields answer: no.

Now we want to show that method 1 gives the same moment as method 2 ...
Hmm, I have no idea why my earlier results yielded different numbers. Some times all you need is someone looking over your shoulder, thank you for your patience!

MartinLoland said:
Hmm, I have no idea why my earlier results yielded different numbers
Different numbers or different-looking equations?
Your two equations involve l, r, c and theta, but from the geometry there is a relationship between those variables, so it is not apparent whether they are actually the same. Figure out the relationship and substitute for c in method 1.

Likes MartinLoland
haruspex said:
Different numbers or different-looking equations?
Your two equations involve l, r, c and theta, but from the geometry there is a relationship between those variables, so it is not apparent whether they are actually the same. Figure out the relationship and substitute for c in method 1.
Yes thanks. When I worked through it earlier I got different numbers. But working it out once more I found that the r cancels out when using method 1.
So it all makes sense now :)

Related to Transfer of forces from a pulley to a beam

What is a pulley?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a groove around its circumference and a rope or belt that runs along the groove. It is used to lift or move heavy objects by changing the direction of the force applied.

How does a pulley transfer forces to a beam?

A pulley uses the tension created by the rope or belt around the wheel to transfer forces to a beam. As the rope or belt is pulled, it exerts a force on the pulley, which then transfers that force to the beam.

What is the mechanical advantage of a pulley?

The mechanical advantage of a pulley is equal to the number of ropes or strands supporting the object being lifted or moved. For example, a pulley with two ropes has a mechanical advantage of two, meaning it can lift or move an object twice as heavy as the input force applied.

Can the direction of force be changed with a pulley?

Yes, a pulley can change the direction of force applied. This is why pulleys are commonly used in lifting and rigging systems, to change the direction of force and make it easier to lift or move heavy objects.

What is the difference between a fixed pulley and a movable pulley?

A fixed pulley is attached to a stationary object, while a movable pulley is attached to the object being lifted or moved. A fixed pulley changes the direction of force, while a movable pulley also provides a mechanical advantage by distributing the weight of the object between the rope and the pulley.