Transfer Options: Tulane vs Georgia Tech

• Thread starter Fly-Prince
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Options
In summary, the speaker is considering their options for transferring to a new school and is weighing the choice between attending Tulane for engineering physics with a full tuition scholarship or Georgia Tech for Electrical Engineering with no scholarship. They are also considering their chances for graduate school in fields such as device or condensed matter physics, or nano EE applications. The speaker's subpar GPA and financial concerns are also factors in their decision. They mention a preference for attending a UC for graduate school and have previous research experience at GT. They are leaning towards taking the full tuition scholarship, believing that the undergraduate institution may not matter in the long run.
Fly-Prince
Hi all,

I will be changing schools from a small liberal arts school as part of a 3-2 program and would like some help considering my options. It looks like I will be able to attend Tulane for engineering physics with a full tuition Scholarship or Georgia Tech for Electrical Engineering with no scholarship. I would like to go to graduate school for something like device or condensed matter physics, or alternatively nano EE applications. GT is a notably higher ranked school and so I was wondering if anyone thought attending would be worth the financial loss, especially considering my sub par Gpa (3.48), or if I should obviously take the free ride. In truth I can afford to attend GT with no (or small) student loans even without a scholarship, but that is a large chunk of money that my family could do other things with, even though they appear to be willing to pay it.

To be more specific about my ambitions, I would really like to attend a UC for graduate school. I also spent a summer doing research at GT and really liked it and am a bit tired of New Orleans, but I guess that info isn't helpful.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would personally just take the full ride, I don't know that undergraduate institution matters all that much

Related to Transfer Options: Tulane vs Georgia Tech

1. How do the academic programs at Tulane and Georgia Tech compare?

Both Tulane and Georgia Tech are highly reputable universities with strong academic programs. Tulane is known for its liberal arts and sciences programs, while Georgia Tech is known for its engineering and technology programs. Ultimately, the best program for a transfer student will depend on their specific academic interests and goals.

2. What is the campus culture like at Tulane and Georgia Tech?

The campus culture at Tulane and Georgia Tech differ in many ways. Tulane has a strong sense of community and a focus on service and social justice. Georgia Tech, on the other hand, has a more competitive and career-focused atmosphere. Both schools offer a variety of extracurricular activities and opportunities for students to get involved.

3. How is the financial aid and scholarship availability at Tulane and Georgia Tech?

Tulane and Georgia Tech both offer financial aid and scholarship opportunities for transfer students. Tulane is known for its generous merit-based scholarships, while Georgia Tech offers need-based aid and opportunities for students to apply for external scholarships. It is important for transfer students to research and compare the financial aid options at both universities.

4. What is the transfer acceptance rate at Tulane and Georgia Tech?

Both Tulane and Georgia Tech have highly selective transfer acceptance rates. According to the most recent data, Tulane has a transfer acceptance rate of 20%, while Georgia Tech has a transfer acceptance rate of 33%. It is important for transfer students to have a strong academic record and application to increase their chances of admission.

5. What is the location and surrounding area like for Tulane and Georgia Tech?

Tulane is located in New Orleans, Louisiana, known for its vibrant culture, music, and food. Georgia Tech is located in Atlanta, Georgia, a major city with a diverse population and opportunities for internships and job opportunities. Both locations offer unique experiences and opportunities for students.