Transferring Doctuments and Pictures via Flashdrive

In summary, the individual has recently purchased a new laptop and wants to transfer files from an old flash drive without accidentally transferring any viruses. They also mention previous issues with a failing hard drive and having AVAST virus protection on both computers. The suggestion is made to scan the flash drive and use a sandbox setup for added security, but the individual ultimately does not seem concerned about the possibility of transferring a virus.
vanmaiden
Hello Physics Forums!

I just got a new laptop, and I'm trying to transfer a lot of my word documents, powerpoints, spreadsheets and other documents to my new computer through an old flash drive. My concern is that I will accidentally transfer a virus in the process.

I replaced my old desktop computer because I kept on receiving the HD521-2W Failed SMART Short Test error message leading to me to find that my hard drive was failing. Should I be concerned about a virus being transferred from my old to new computer in the form of a file such as an office document? I have the free version of AVAST Virus Protection on both computers.

Thank you!

Computer science news on Phys.org
If you don't have a virus on the old one, then no.

If you had anti-virus in place and never any warnings then it isn't something you should be concerned with.

To be doubly sure, simply copy everything onto the flash drive you need and then each time you insert it into the new PC, scan it with AV before proceeding to copy anything off it.

If you're really paranoid, use some kind of sandbox setup to mount it and catch the files.

Personally, I wouldn't be concerned.

Related to Transferring Doctuments and Pictures via Flashdrive

1. How do I transfer documents and pictures using a flashdrive?

To transfer documents and pictures using a flashdrive, simply insert the flashdrive into a USB port on your computer. Then, open the file explorer or finder and locate the documents and pictures you want to transfer. Right-click on the files and select "Copy" or "Cut". Next, open the flashdrive folder and right-click anywhere inside it. Select "Paste" to transfer the files onto the flashdrive.

2. Can I transfer large files using a flashdrive?

Yes, you can transfer large files using a flashdrive. The capacity of a flashdrive can range from a few gigabytes to several terabytes, so it can accommodate large files such as videos, high-resolution images, and large documents. However, make sure that the size of the file does not exceed the capacity of your flashdrive.

3. Can I transfer files from a flashdrive to multiple devices?

Yes, you can transfer files from a flashdrive to multiple devices as long as the devices have a USB port. Simply plug the flashdrive into each device and follow the same steps as transferring files to a computer. Keep in mind that some devices, such as smartphones and tablets, may require an adapter to connect to a flashdrive.

4. Is it safe to transfer sensitive documents and pictures using a flashdrive?

As with any form of data transfer, there is always a risk of data being intercepted or lost. However, flashdrives have built-in encryption and password protection features that can help keep your sensitive documents and pictures secure. It is recommended to use these features when transferring sensitive files using a flashdrive.

5. How do I safely remove a flashdrive after transferring files?

To safely remove a flashdrive, make sure that all file transfer processes are complete and the flashdrive is not in use. On a Windows computer, click on the "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" icon on the taskbar and select the flashdrive. On a Mac, drag the flashdrive icon to the trash and wait for it to disappear before unplugging the flashdrive. It is important to follow these steps to avoid data corruption on the flashdrive.