Transformer Analysis: Comparing Measured and Analytical Values

In summary, the conversation is about comparing analytical values of a loaded transformer with measured values. The transformer is a single phase 230/115V with a rated secondary current of 0.43 A. The open circuit test resulted in Rcore = 15.9kOhm and Xcore = 10.5kOhm, while the SC test gave Req= 80 Ohm, Xeq = 33.8 Ohm, and Zeq = 86.8 Ohm. The load test values were R= 150k Ohm, Vp = 211V, Ip= 24 mA, Pp = 3.2W, Vs = 115.1, and Is=0.
greg997
I am asked to compare analytical values of the loaded transformer with measeured values of the transformer. I have got no clue how to do that. The transformer is singl ephase 230/115V with rated secondary current 0.43 A.
According to open circuit test the Rcore = 15.9kOhm, Xcore = 10.5kOhm. From SC test Req= 80 Ohm,
Xeq = 33.8 Ohm, Zeq = 86.8 Ohm

I have values of load test as follows. The load is connected to secondary R= 150k Ohm,
Vp = 211V, Ip= 24 mA, Pp = 3.2W, Vs = 115.1, Is=0.75 mA.

I am not sure what to do with that data. I also don't know how to find actual efficiency of the transformer. What is the power output of that transformer?
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly is "Rcore" and "Xcore"? Also your "ewq" parameters. How exactly were they measured?

What you should have measured id

greg997 said:
I am asked to compare analytical values of the loaded transformer with measeured values of the transformer. I have got no clue how to do that. The transformer is singl ephase 230/115V with rated secondary current 0.43 A.
According to open circuit test the Rcore = 15.9kOhm, Xcore = 10.5kOhm. From SC test Req= 80 Ohm,
Xeq = 33.8 Ohm, Zeq = 86.8 Ohm

I have values of load test as follows. The load is connected to secondary R= 150k Ohm,
Vp = 211V, Ip= 24 mA, Pp = 3.2W, Vs = 115.1, Is=0.75 mA.

I am not sure what to do with that data. I also don't know how to find actual efficiency of the transformer. What is the power output of that transformer?
Thank you

have you been introduced to an equivalent circuit model? I would guess that you have to compare your results from the 150k loaded experiment, to the results from the open and short circuit experiments.

What exactly are "Rcore" and "Xcore"? Also your "eq" parameters. How exactly were they measured?

What you need is:

with no other connections to the transformer:
primary inductance L11
primary resistance R1
secondary inductance L22
secondary resistance R2

with primary excited:
secondary voltage, open-circuit secondary: V2(oc)
secondary voltage, loaded secondary: V2(150K)

You might also determine the reverse voltage gain, i.e. V1(oc) and V1(150K) with V2 excited, although that should be redundant.

EDITED:
Not sure what the intent here is. Looks like you are to do just the unexcited measurements (the first four) and then assume a fully coupled transformer (k = 1.0) and compare the caculated output voltage with the measured one. But I'm just guessing.

Last edited:
for your question. I would approach this problem by first understanding the purpose of comparing the analytical and measured values of the transformer. This comparison is likely being done to evaluate the accuracy and effectiveness of the analytical model in predicting the behavior of the transformer in real-world conditions.

To compare the analytical and measured values, we can start by looking at the open circuit and short circuit test results. These tests provide information about the core resistance and reactance of the transformer, which are important parameters in determining its overall performance. We can compare the measured values of Rcore and Xcore with the analytical values to see if there are any significant differences. If there are, we can investigate the reasons for these discrepancies and potentially adjust the analytical model to better match the real-world results.

Next, we can look at the load test results. This test provides information about the transformer's performance under a specific load. We can compare the measured values of voltage, current, and power with the analytical values to see how well the model predicted the behavior of the transformer under this load. Again, any discrepancies can be investigated and the model can be adjusted if needed.

To find the actual efficiency of the transformer, we can use the formula: efficiency = (output power/input power) x 100%. In this case, the input power would be the primary voltage multiplied by the primary current, and the output power would be the secondary voltage multiplied by the secondary current. Using the given values, we can calculate the efficiency and compare it with the efficiency predicted by the analytical model.

As for the power output of the transformer, we can calculate it by multiplying the secondary voltage by the secondary current. In this case, the power output would be approximately 86.3 mW.

In summary, comparing the analytical and measured values of the transformer allows us to evaluate the accuracy of the analytical model and make any necessary adjustments. This can help improve the performance and efficiency of the transformer in real-world applications.

Related to Transformer Analysis: Comparing Measured and Analytical Values

What is transformer analysis?

Transformer analysis is the process of comparing the measured values of a transformer's parameters, such as voltage, current, and impedance, to the expected or analytical values. This helps to determine the overall performance and efficiency of the transformer.

Why is transformer analysis important?

Transformer analysis is important because it allows us to identify any discrepancies between the measured and analytical values of a transformer. This helps to ensure that the transformer is functioning correctly and can identify any potential issues or areas for improvement.

What are the main parameters analyzed in transformer analysis?

The main parameters analyzed in transformer analysis include voltage, current, impedance, power, and efficiency. These parameters are measured and compared to the analytical values to evaluate the performance of the transformer.

What are the different methods used for transformer analysis?

There are two main methods used for transformer analysis: experimental or physical testing and analytical or theoretical calculations. Experimental testing involves directly measuring the parameters of the transformer, while analytical calculations involve using mathematical equations and models to predict the expected values.

What are some common challenges in transformer analysis?

Some common challenges in transformer analysis include variations in load, fluctuations in input voltage, and the accuracy of measurements. It is important to carefully consider and control these factors to ensure accurate and reliable results.

Back