Transformer connected in parallel question

In summary, the question is asking how to calculate the percentage overload on a transformer when it is supplying a common load with another transformer with a different impedance.
eddievic

Homework Statement

The question is as per my attachment

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the following help of the internet but do not know where to start any assistance would be appreciated:
you don't need to be concerned about matched turns ratio. You can assume that the turns ratio is 1:1 and that the transformers are single-phase or that you have per-phase, wye data. Since the answer is to be given as a percentage, you can assume a convenient voltage like 1000 V. That reduces the problem to a relatively simple network of (0.09 + j0.18) in parallel with (0.09 + j0.23) and that parallel combination in series with (R + jX). With the assumed voltage, the power factor of the current in one branch, and the kva of the load supplied by that branch.

Attachments

• Load on on parallel Transformers.docx
    152.4 KB · Views: 353
Physics news on Phys.org
Can't open your file. (I have office 2003).
Convert to pdf?

For some reason i can't upload the attachment anyways the question is as follows:

Transformer A is rated at 300 kVA with an impedance of (0.09+j0.18)Ω

Transformer B is rated at 200 kVA with an impedance of (0.09+j0.23)Ω

if these transformers are connected in parallel to supply a common load, determine the percentage overload on B when A supplies its full load at p.f. 0.45 lag

Attachments

• Transformers.pdf
    112.5 KB · Views: 408
We need input and output impedances of both transformers.

rude man said:
We need input and output impedances of both transformers.

This is the complete question as i have it

Looking at this again and i have found

Full load current presuming 1000v and at single phase:
Transformer A = 300000/1000 = 300A
Transformer B = 200000/1000 = 200A

I know that power factor is 0.45 lag so this is cos^-1 0.45 = 63.25 degrees

kVA a = kVA total (Zb/Za+Zb)
kVA b = kVA total (Za/Za +Zb)

I think I have everything to solve but cannot figure out the methodology on this one can anyone assist?

With any luck, this may not be as complicated as it might seem. You know the voltage drops across the impedances must be identical, since the transformers are working into a common load voltage.

Focus on just magnitudes of the drop across the impedances. These must be equal.

Are you provided with the correct answer, so we can check?

NascentOxygen said:
With any luck, this may not be as complicated as it might seem. You know the voltage drops across the impedances must be identical, since the transformers are working into a common load voltage.

Focus on just magnitudes of the drop across the impedances. These must be equal.

Are you provided with the correct answer, so we can check?

Thanks for your help.

I worked out the loads on the two Transformers connected in parallel and then worked out the difference in percentage overload and submitted my answer and this came back correct.

I think it was just the question that was puzzling me I was not sure what it was asking. :)

Hi eddievic I'm stuck on the same question have been for days, how did you work out the loads without the total KVA or total wattage or is it just as simple as adding the 2 KVA's of the transformers together

Related to Transformer connected in parallel question

1. What is a transformer connected in parallel?

A transformer connected in parallel refers to a configuration where two or more transformers are connected side by side to a common source voltage, with their secondary windings connected to a common load. This allows for increased power capacity or redundancy in case one transformer fails.

2. What are the advantages of connecting transformers in parallel?

Connecting transformers in parallel provides several advantages, including increased power capacity, improved voltage regulation, and redundancy in case of a transformer failure. It also allows for flexible load sharing and easier maintenance as one transformer can be taken offline without disrupting the entire system.

3. Are there any disadvantages to connecting transformers in parallel?

There are a few potential disadvantages to connecting transformers in parallel. One is the risk of circulating currents between the transformers, which can lead to increased losses and reduced efficiency. Another is the need for careful design and matching of transformers to ensure they have similar characteristics and can share the load properly.

4. How do you determine the ratio of transformer turns in a parallel connection?

The ratio of transformer turns in a parallel connection is typically determined by the transformer ratings and the desired load sharing. It is important to ensure that all transformers have the same turns ratio so that they can share the load equally. This can be achieved by selecting transformers with the same voltage ratings and turns ratio, or by adjusting the number of turns on the primary or secondary winding.

5. Can any type of transformer be connected in parallel?

Not all types of transformers can be connected in parallel. The transformers must have similar characteristics and be designed for parallel operation. This typically includes having the same voltage ratings, turns ratio, and impedance. Additionally, transformers with different types of cooling (such as liquid-immersed vs. air-cooled) should not be connected in parallel.