Transformer cooling for Hermetically-sealed units

In summary, the conversation discusses the cooling process of Hermetically-sealed transformers and raises questions about how it works compared to the air-breathing type. The expert clarifies that the hermetically sealed transformers do not require a conservator or breather for cooling as the oil-filled tank with fins can accommodate for expansion. They also mention that the design of the fins serves as hydraulic accumulators. The expert also mentions a similar concept used in automobile cooling systems.
Junior01
Hello,
I have question about transformer.
How is Hermetically-sealed transformer cooled? I know that in air-breathing type we have conservator, breather, etc…for cooling. But, where the expansion oil goes in hermetically sealed? How it works?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Junior01 said:
Hello,
I have question about transformer.
How is Hermetically-sealed transformer cooled? I know that in air-breathing type we have conservator, breather, etc…for cooling. But, where the expansion oil goes in hermetically sealed? How it works?
That should be pretty easy to answer with a simple Google search.

And what does the term "hermetically sealed" mean? It certainly does not mean thermally isolated...

berkeman said:
That should be pretty easy to answer with a simple Google search.

And what does the term "hermetically sealed" mean? It certainly does not mean thermally isolated...
Can you please give me a link where on google is that exactly explained? :)

Junior01 said:
Can you please give me a link where on google is that exactly explained? :)
You could just start by doing a Google search on your thread title. That will get you pretty close. Then you can add or subtract search terms to refine your search. Let us know what you find... :smile:

berkeman said:
You could just start by doing a Google search on your thread title. That will get you pretty close. Then you can add or subtract search terms to refine your search. Let us know what you find... :smile:
The hermetically sealed oil transformers are normally manufactured with a sealed tank equipped with fins that allow the expansion at the temperature variations. But, I doesn't see this tank. Where is he placed?

I think this is where you are off base..."I know that in air-breathing type we have conservator, breather, etc…for cooling." - these elements are to deal with thermal expansion / contraction of the oil, not for cooling.

Likes Asymptotic and berkeman
Junior01 said:
The hermetically sealed oil transformers are normally manufactured with a sealed tank equipped with fins that allow the expansion at the temperature variations. But, I doesn't see this tank. Where is he placed?
I've never worked with hermetically sealed transformers, but from what I've read their reason for being is eliminate the need for an expansion tank and desiccant breather by completely filling the tank with oil, sealing it from outside air, and designing the radiator fins to serve as hydraulic accumulators.

I don't see a problem if a reservoir is sealed up with ample volume left to make room for expansion and contraction of the fluid during heating and cooling. Just the surface area of the container may provide adequate cooling in some cases.
-
Slightly off topic but relevant is the fact that automobile cooling systems at one time were sealed with no overflow jug to expell and retract coolant as the engine warmed and cooled. The radiator was not meant to be completely full. There was enough room left in the top of the radiator to allow for expansion.

Related to Transformer cooling for Hermetically-sealed units

1. What is transformer cooling for hermetically-sealed units?

Transformer cooling for hermetically-sealed units refers to the method of dissipating heat from a transformer that is completely sealed and filled with an insulating liquid, such as mineral oil or silicone. This type of transformer is used in applications where the transformer must be protected from external factors, such as moisture or corrosive gases.

2. How does transformer cooling for hermetically-sealed units work?

In transformer cooling for hermetically-sealed units, the insulating liquid inside the transformer absorbs heat generated by the transformer's core and windings. The heat is then dissipated through the external surface of the transformer, where it can be cooled by air or water. The cooled liquid then circulates back into the transformer to repeat the process.

3. What are the benefits of using transformer cooling for hermetically-sealed units?

Using hermetically-sealed units for transformer cooling offers several benefits. Firstly, the sealed design protects the transformer from external factors, making it suitable for use in harsh environments. Additionally, the use of insulating liquid allows for more efficient heat dissipation, resulting in a more compact and cost-effective transformer design.

4. What are the different types of cooling methods used for hermetically-sealed units?

There are several cooling methods used for hermetically-sealed units, including natural convection, forced air, and liquid cooling. Natural convection relies on the movement of air around the transformer to dissipate heat, while forced air uses fans to increase air flow. Liquid cooling involves using a liquid coolant, such as water, to remove heat from the transformer.

5. What factors should be considered when selecting a cooling method for hermetically-sealed units?

When selecting a cooling method for hermetically-sealed units, factors such as the transformer's size, power rating, and operating environment should be considered. Additionally, the availability and cost of the chosen cooling method should also be taken into account. Consulting with a transformer expert can help determine the most suitable cooling method for a specific application.