Transforming from polar to parametric functions

In summary, the conversation is about converting a polar coordinate function to a parametric function for use in plotting with wxMaxima. The function in question is r = 2cos(4theta), and the speaker wants to convert it to (x(t), y(t)) format. They also express gratitude for the helpful response and mention their appreciation for the forum.
Aikon
Hi all,

I want to convert a curve from polar coordinates function to a parametric function.
The function is:
[itex] r = 2 \cdot \cos( 4\cdot\theta )[/itex]

I want to convert this for ( x(t), Y(t) ).
Why do I want this? Because I saw that wxMaxima make plots of parametric functions, but I don't know how to plot polar functions.

Thank you.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I don't know anything about wxMaxima but I'm sure you wouldn't be happy with the parametric equations you would get. Why don't you learn how to do it in wxMaxima? Try looking here:
http://math.hawaii.edu/~dave/wxMaxima/polar_plot.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
LCKurtz said:
I don't know anything about wxMaxima but I'm sure you wouldn't be happy with the parametric equations you would get. Why don't you learn how to do it in wxMaxima? Try looking here:
http://math.hawaii.edu/~dave/wxMaxima/polar_plot.pdf

Hi Kurtz,
Thanks, I will read the article later, it appears to be whatI need.
It is because of people like you that I love this forum.

See you,

Last edited by a moderator:

FAQ: Transforming from polar to parametric functions

1. What is the difference between polar and parametric functions?

Polar functions are represented in terms of polar coordinates, which consist of a distance from the origin and an angle from a fixed reference point. Parametric functions, on the other hand, are represented by two or more equations that describe the position of a point in terms of one or more parameters.

2. How do you convert a polar function to a parametric function?

To convert a polar function to a parametric function, you can use the following equations:
x = r * cos(theta)
y = r * sin(theta)
where r is the distance from the origin and theta is the angle from a fixed reference point.

3. Can all polar functions be converted to parametric functions?

Yes, all polar functions can be converted to parametric functions by using the equations mentioned in the previous answer.

4. What are the advantages of using parametric functions over polar functions?

Parametric functions allow for more flexibility and control in representing curves and shapes, as they can include multiple parameters. They also allow for easier calculation of derivatives and integrals.

5. How are polar and parametric functions used in real-world applications?

Polar and parametric functions are commonly used in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer graphics to represent and model complex shapes and curves. They are also used in navigation systems and mapping applications.