Transforming Linear Transformation with Non-Standard Basis

In summary, the matrix T with respect to basis B contains the vectors b1=(1,1) and b2=(1,-1). T(u + v) = T(u) + T(v) and cT(u) = T(cu)
bmxicle

Homework Statement

Suppose the matrix standard matrix for a linear trnaformation T: R^2 --->R^2 is[PLAIN]http://www.texify.com/img/%5CLARGE%5C%21%5Cbegin%7Bequation%7D%5Cbegin%7Bpmatrix%7D2%20%26%20-3%20%5C%5C%200%20%26%201%5Cend%7Bpmatrix%7D%5Cend%7Bequation%7D.gif

Find the matrix T with respect to basis B, i.e. find [T]B. The basis B contains the vectors b1=(1,1) and b2=(1,-1).

Homework Equations

T(u + v) = T(u) + T(v)
cT(u) = T(cu)

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I'm definitely feeling like I don't have a solid understanding of what's going on here, but here's some of what I've tried.

So we want to see how the linear transformation transforms a vector (h,k) in the Basis B. My first thought was to see how e1 and e2 are transformed and then write them in terms of the basis vectors

So i found that:
e1 = 1/2b1 + 1/2b2
e2 = 1/2b1 - 1/2b2

From the matrix i used that
T(e1) = 2e1 = 2(1/2b1 + 1/2 b2) = b1 + b2
T(e2) = -3e1 + e2 = -3(1/2b1 + 1/2b2) + (1/2b1 - 1/2b2) = -b1 - 2b2

Now I'm not sure what to do next. Any hints would be great, or suggestions for an online source to read because the section in my textbook on this hasn't helped me to much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Greetings! You're close, but instead of seeing how e1 and e2 are transformed, you'll want to see how b1 and b2 are transformed. Then write T(b1) and T(b2) in terms of b1 and b2, just like you did for T(e1) and T(e2).

The idea here is that you have a linear transformation that works on vectors in the standard basis i.e. A = a1e1 + a2e2. But say you have a bunch of vectors, (say millions) in terms of another basis set, which you would like to transform via the transformation matrix. Well you could either find all the components of these vectors in the standard basis and then apply the original transformation matrix. Or the easier way is to transform the matrix so that it can transform vectors in the new basis correctly.

ahh think I see how to transform the matrix now.

Let D = the transformation matrix with repect to the basis B.
Let C = the change of basis matrix with columns composed of b1, b2
Let A = the standard transformation matrix.

x = C[x]B and because the columns of C by definition are linearly independent [x]B = C-1x

D[x]B = [Ax]B = C^-1Ax = C^-1AC[x]B

which leads to

D = C-1AC

This gave me the right answer.

Related to Transforming Linear Transformation with Non-Standard Basis

1. What is a non-standard basis matrix?

A non-standard basis matrix is a type of matrix that is used to represent linear transformations in a non-standard basis. Unlike a standard basis matrix, which uses the standard basis vectors of [1,0] and [0,1], a non-standard basis matrix uses non-standard basis vectors to represent the same transformation. This can be useful when working with non-orthogonal or non-rectangular coordinate systems.

2. How is a non-standard basis matrix created?

To create a non-standard basis matrix, the non-standard basis vectors must first be defined. These vectors are then used to form the columns of the matrix, with each column representing the coordinates of the non-standard basis vector in the standard basis. The resulting matrix can then be used to represent linear transformations in the non-standard basis.

3. What are the advantages of using a non-standard basis matrix?

One advantage of using a non-standard basis matrix is that it can simplify calculations in non-orthogonal or non-rectangular coordinate systems. This is because the basis vectors can be chosen to align with the shape of the coordinate system, making calculations and transformations easier to visualize and perform.

Additionally, non-standard basis matrices can also be used to represent complex transformations, such as rotations, in a simpler and more intuitive way than using standard basis matrices.

4. How does a non-standard basis matrix relate to a change of basis?

A non-standard basis matrix is closely related to a change of basis. When changing from one basis to another, the transformation can be represented by a non-standard basis matrix. This matrix can then be used to convert coordinates between the two bases, making it easier to work with different coordinate systems.

5. Can a non-standard basis matrix be used in any dimension?

Yes, a non-standard basis matrix can be used in any dimension. It is not limited to 2D or 3D transformations, but can also be used in higher dimensions. The number of columns in the matrix will depend on the number of basis vectors used to represent the transformation, which can vary in different dimensions.