Transforming Positive Definite Quadratic Forms: A Simplification Approach

In summary, a positive definite quadratic form can always be rewritten as a sum of squares with positive coefficients by diagonalizing the corresponding matrix.
Office_Shredder
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm having a bit of a brain fart here. Given a positive definite quadratic form
[tex] \sum \alpha_{i,j} x_i x_j [/tex]
is it possible to re-write this as
[tex] \sum k_i x_i^2 + \left( \sum \beta_i x_i \right)^2[/tex]
with all the ki positive? I feel like the answer should be obvious

Physics news on Phys.org
Office_Shredder said:
I'm having a bit of a brain fart here. Given a positive definite quadratic form
is it possible to re-write this as
[tex] \sum k_i x_i^2 + \left( \sum \beta_i x_i \right)^2[/tex]
with all the ki positive? I feel like the answer should be obvious

Yes. Every quadratic form

determines a matrix [itex](\alpha_{i,j})_{i,j}[/itex]. The only thing you need to do is diagonalize this matrix.

Note that the matrix corresponding to any quadratic form is symmetric (we take [itex]a_{ij}= a_{ji}[/itex] equal to 1/2 the coefficient of [itex]x_ix_j[/itex]. Therefore, the matrix corresponding to a quadratic form is always diagonalizable.

FAQ: Transforming Positive Definite Quadratic Forms: A Simplification Approach

1. What is a quadratic form?

A quadratic form is a mathematical expression that contains terms of degree 2 or lower. It can be written in the form of ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable.

2. How do you simplify a quadratic form?

To simplify a quadratic form, you can use the process of completing the square or the quadratic formula. Both methods involve manipulating the expression to get it into a more simplified form.

3. Why is simplifying quadratic forms important?

Simplifying quadratic forms allows us to better understand and analyze the behavior of quadratic equations. It also helps in solving problems and making predictions in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

4. Can all quadratic forms be simplified?

Yes, all quadratic forms can be simplified using either completing the square or the quadratic formula. However, some forms may be more complex and require more steps to simplify.

5. Are there any real-world applications of simplifying quadratic forms?

Yes, simplifying quadratic forms has various real-world applications such as in physics to calculate the trajectory of a projectile, in engineering to optimize designs, and in economics to analyze profit and loss functions.