Transforming quadratic functions

In summary: So, in summary, this student is trying to figure out how to do a vertical stretch on a parabola using a step pattern. They start at the vertex, go out by one, up by 1, and plot the point. Then they go out by 1, up by 3, plot the point. Then they go out by 1, up by 5, and plot the point. The step pattern multiplied by 1/2 is applied to the graph.
Nelo

Homework Statement

Sketch the graph of y=x^2 and graph y=1/2(x+4)^2 -5

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So, This is the method I use for vertical compression/expansion

Step pattern of a parabola at y=x^2 is 1,3,5

Start at vertex, go out by one, go up by 1 and plot the point. From that point, you go out by 1 go up by 3, plot the point. then go out by one, go up by 5 and plot the point.. use symmetry to get the other side and that gives you y=x^2 of a porabola.

If you have something like y=4(x-2) +4

then the vertex is (2,4) , and since there is a vertical stretch you multiply the step pattern of, 1,3,5 by 4 , giving you, 4 ,12, 20, ... effectively... Start at the vertex of 2,2 . and go out by 1 and up by 4, plot the point, then go out by one up by 12, plot the point. and so forth, that is what I've learned as the step pattern for a parabola. when you have vertica lstretch you multiply by 4.

Why doesn't this work now? Usually when you have a graph like 1/2(x-4)^2 +5
You go to the left 4 units, up 5 units, then multiply the step patern of 1,3,5 by 0.5. But for some reason that doesn't work. So how the hell do you do a vertical stretch on the parabola?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nelo said:
You go to the left 4 units, up 5 units, then multiply the step patern of 1,3,5 by 0.5. But for some reason that doesn't work. So how the hell do you do a vertical stretch on the parabola?

for the (x-4)2 part, you'd need to shift the graph of x2 four (4) units to the right. Then you'd need to stretch (x-4)2 by the factor of ½ and then the vertical translation.

I've never really learned transformation graphs as 1,3,5 so I am not sure if I am telling you something you already know.

Nelo said:
Earlier, you wrote y = 1/2(x + 4)2 - 5. Which one is it? I'm going to assume that you mean
y = 1/2(x - 4)2 + 5

Nelo said:
It does work. But you have to go the right 4 units and up 5 units to plot the vertex. So if you plot the points
(4, __)
(5, __)
(6, __)
(7, __)
(I'll let you fill in the blanks), then you'll see that the step pattern (multiplied by 1/2) is applied.

Don't forget that regarding transformations, if we start with y = f(x), then
y = f(x - c) is a transformation to the right by c units, and
y = f(x + c) is a transformation to the left by c units.
I've seen a lot of students get those mixed up.

FAQ: Transforming quadratic functions

1. What is a quadratic function?

A quadratic function is a polynomial function of degree 2, meaning it contains at least one squared term. It can be written in the form f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are constants and x is a variable.

2. How do you graph a quadratic function?

To graph a quadratic function, you can use the coordinates of the vertex (h,k) and the direction of the parabola (up or down) to plot points and draw a smooth curve. Alternatively, you can also use the x-intercepts of the function, which can be found by solving the quadratic equation ax^2 + bx + c = 0.

3. What does transforming a quadratic function mean?

Transforming a quadratic function means changing its shape or position on a graph. This can be done by altering the values of the constants a, b, and c in the function, which will result in changes to the vertex, direction, or intercepts of the parabola.

4. What are the different types of transformations for quadratic functions?

The three main types of transformations for quadratic functions are translations, reflections, and dilations. Translations involve shifting the function horizontally or vertically, reflections flip the function across an axis, and dilations stretch or shrink the function.

5. How do you determine the effects of a transformation on a quadratic function?

The effects of a transformation on a quadratic function can be determined by analyzing the changes to the constants a, b, and c. For translations, the values of a and b will not change, but c will shift the function up or down. For reflections, the sign of a will change to reflect across the x-axis, while the sign of b will change to reflect across the y-axis. For dilations, the value of a will change to stretch or shrink the function, while b and c will remain the same.