Transforming Trigonometric expression

In summary: I would get\frac{\sin(\phi)}{\sin(\phi)}+\frac{\cos(\phi)}{\sin(\phi)}\left(\sin^{2}(\phi)-\sin(\phi)\cos(\phi)+\cos^{2}(\phi)\right) = \left(1+\cot(\phi)\right) \left(1-\sin(\phi)\cos(\phi)\right)which is the desired form! Great job!In summary, by simplifying the radicals using Pythagorean identities, expressing the resulting expressions in terms of sine and cosine only, and factoring the numerator using the sum of cubes formula, we were able to transform the left side expression into the desired form of the right side expression
Drain Brain
transform the first member to the second member

$\sqrt{\frac{\sec^{2}(\phi)-1}{\sec^{2}(\phi)(1+\cot^{2}(\phi))}}+\frac{\csc^{2}(\phi)}{\csc(\phi)}\sqrt{\frac{\csc^{2}(\phi)-1}{\csc^{2}(\phi)}} = (1+\cot(\phi))(1-\sin(\phi)\cos(\phi))$this is what I tried so far,

$\sin^{2}(\phi)+\cot(\phi)\cos^{2}(\phi) = (1+\cot(\phi))(1-\sin(\phi)\cos(\phi))$

I maybe out of idea on how to transform the left side expression to right side expression please help me. thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Drain Brain said:
transform the first member to the second member

$\sqrt{\frac{\sec^{2}(\phi)-1}{\sec^{2}(\phi)(1+\cot^{2}(\phi))}}+\frac{\csc^{2}(\phi)}{\csc(\phi)}\sqrt{\frac{\csc^{2}(\phi)-1}{\csc^{2}(\phi)}} = (1+\cot(\phi))(1-\sin(\phi)\cos(\phi))$

there's a typo in my first post it should be

$\sqrt{\frac{\sec^{2}(\phi)-1}{\sec^{2}(\phi)(1+\cot^{2}(\phi))}}+\frac{\cot^{2}(\phi)}{\csc(\phi)}\sqrt{\frac{\csc^{2}(\phi)-1}{\csc^{2}(\phi)}} = \left(1+\cot(\phi)\right)\left(1-\sin(\phi)\cos(\phi)\right)$

Help please!

Last edited:
Maybe it's just me,the first member cannot be transformed into the second member. But we can still prove that the given identity is true by some using algebraic manipulation.

What? How come my trig book gives a problem like that. I think there's still a way around it.

Drain Brain said:
What? How come my trig book gives a problem like that. I think there's still a way around it.

Again, I think it's just me. Just wait for the Math Helpers to tell you how to go about it.
Regards!

Begin by simplifying the radicals using various Pythagorean identities.

Then simplify the resulting expressions be expressing in terms of sine and cosine only.

Then combine terms and factor the numerator using the sum of cubes formula.

Further distribution/simplification will give the desired result.

MarkFL said:
Begin by simplifying the radicals using various Pythagorean identities.

Then simplify the resulting expressions be expressing in terms of sine and cosine only.

Then combine terms and factor the numerator using the sum of cubes formula.

Further distribution/simplification will give the desired result.

By doing so I end up getting,

$\frac{\sin^{3}(\phi)+\cos^{3}(\phi)}{\sin(\phi)}=1-\sin(\phi)\cos(\phi)+\cot(\phi)-\cos^{2}(\phi)$I still could not get the desired form.

Drain Brain said:
By doing so I end up getting,

$\frac{\sin^{3}(\phi)+\cos^{3}(\phi)}{\sin(\phi)}=1-\sin(\phi)\cos(\phi)+\cot(\phi)-\cos^{2}(\phi)$I still could not get the desired form.

Okay, good, I too wound up with:

\(\displaystyle \frac{\sin^{3}(\phi)+\cos^{3}(\phi)}{\sin(\phi)}\)

Now what do you get when factor the numerator as the sum of cubes?

MarkFL said:
Okay, good, I too wound up with:

\(\displaystyle \frac{\sin^{3}(\phi)+\cos^{3}(\phi)}{\sin(\phi)}\)t

Now what do you get when factor the numerator as the sum of cubes?
$\frac{\sin^{3}(\phi)+\cos^{3}(\phi)}{\sin(\phi)}=\frac{(\sin(\phi)+\cos(\phi))(\sin^{2}(\phi)-\sin(\phi)\cos(\phi)+\cos^{2}(\phi))}{\sin(\phi)}=
1-\sin(\phi)\cos(\phi)+\cot(\phi)-\cos^{2}(\phi)$

Still not the form that I want.

Drain Brain said:
$\frac{\sin^{3}(\phi)+\cos^{3}(\phi)}{\sin(\phi)}=\frac{(\sin(\phi)+\cos(\phi))(\sin^{2}(\phi)-\sin(\phi)\cos(\phi)+\cos^{2}(\phi))}{\sin(\phi)}=

Hi Drain Brain,

There's still more you can do. Note that

\(\displaystyle \cos^2(\phi) = \cot(\phi) \tan(\phi) \cos^2(\phi) = \cot(\phi) [\tan(\phi) \cos(\phi)] \cos(\phi) = \cot(\phi) \sin(\phi) \cos(\phi).\)

Using this, you can regroup the terms and factor to get the result you want.

Drain Brain said:

Okay, look at:

\(\displaystyle \frac{(\sin(\phi)+\cos(\phi))(\sin^{2}(\phi)-\sin(\phi)\cos(\phi)+\cos^{2}(\phi))}{\sin(\phi)}\)

Write this as:

\(\displaystyle \frac{\sin(\phi)+\cos(\phi)}{\sin(\phi)}\left(\sin^{2}(\phi)-\sin(\phi)\cos(\phi)+\cos^{2}(\phi)\right)\)

Now...simplify the first factor by dividing each term in the numerator by $\sin(\phi)$, and apply a Pythagorean identity to the second factor...what do you get?

MarkFL said:
Okay, look at:

\(\displaystyle \frac{(\sin(\phi)+\cos(\phi))(\sin^{2}(\phi)-\sin(\phi)\cos(\phi)+\cos^{2}(\phi))}{\sin(\phi)}\)

Write this as:

\(\displaystyle \frac{\sin(\phi)+\cos(\phi)}{\sin(\phi)}\left(\sin^{2}(\phi)-\sin(\phi)\cos(\phi)+\cos^{2}(\phi)\right)\)

Now...simplify the first factor by dividing each term in the numerator by $\sin(\phi)$, and apply a Pythagorean identity to the second factor...what do you get?

I would get

\(\displaystyle \frac{\sin(\phi)}{\sin(\phi)}+\frac{\cos(\phi)}{\sin(\phi)}\left(\sin^{2}(\phi)-\sin(\phi)\cos(\phi)+\cos^{2}(\phi)\right) = \left(1+\cot(\phi)\right) \left(1-\sin(\phi)\cos(\phi)\right)\)

Related to Transforming Trigonometric expression

1. What is the process of transforming a trigonometric expression?

The process of transforming a trigonometric expression involves manipulating the given expression using various trigonometric identities and properties to simplify or rewrite it in a different form. This can include using sum and difference formulas, double angle formulas, or other trigonometric identities.

2. Why do we need to transform trigonometric expressions?

Transforming trigonometric expressions can help make them easier to work with and solve. It can also help us recognize patterns and relationships between different trigonometric functions. Additionally, transforming expressions can help us prove trigonometric identities or solve problems in trigonometry.

3. What are some common identities used in transforming trigonometric expressions?

Some common identities used in transforming trigonometric expressions include the Pythagorean identities, sum and difference formulas, double and half angle formulas, and the reciprocal and quotient identities.

4. How do we know which transformation to use for a given trigonometric expression?

Knowing which transformation to use for a given trigonometric expression requires understanding the properties and relationships between different trigonometric functions. It also involves practice and familiarity with different identities and their applications. Additionally, it can be helpful to identify any patterns or symmetries in the given expression.

5. What are some tips for effectively transforming trigonometric expressions?

Some tips for effectively transforming trigonometric expressions include: reviewing and understanding the basic trigonometric identities, practicing various transformations, looking for patterns and relationships between different functions, and simplifying the expression as much as possible before applying a transformation. It can also be helpful to check your work and verify the new expression is equivalent to the original one.