Transiting Exoplanet Light Curve

In summary, a person shares their success in making their first light curve of a transiting exoplanet, TRES-3B, matching the expected transit. They mention wanting bigger telescopes for better curves and discuss the airmass curve and julian date units. Another person congratulates them and asks if the search for exoplanets is motivated by the hope of not being alone. The first person is unsure and mentions their own motivation. They continue discussing ways to mitigate noise in measuring stellar light fluxes. There is also mention of the unexpected variability of stars in the Kepler mission survey. Overall, the motivation for the search for exoplanets is the possibility of detecting more and more of them, with a particular interest in finding earth
Drakkith
Mentor
Well, I just made my first light curve of a transiting exoplanet, TRES-3B, the graph is here.
It's my first time ever doing any photometry, but seeing as how the light curve matches the expected transit pretty much spot on it looks like I was successful.

It's got me wanting to get more or bigger telescopes to do better curves lol.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Secondary mirror fogged up halfway through transit, thus the break in data to apply hair dryer.

:)

Is the airmass curve measuring the "thickness" of our atmosphere, or something else? Also, what are the units on the time axis?

clamtrox said:
:)

Is the airmass curve measuring the "thickness" of our atmosphere, or something else? Also, what are the units on the time axis?

The airmass curve is how much air the target is imaged through at the time. Zenith is 1.0 and it increases as you get lower towards the horizon. The units on the time axis are the julian date.

Drakkith said:
Well, I just made my first light curve of a transiting exoplanet, TRES-3B, the graph is here.
It's my first time ever doing any photometry, but seeing as how the light curve matches the expected transit pretty much spot on it looks like I was successful.

It's got me wanting to get more or bigger telescopes to do better curves lol.

Congratulations on doing real astronomy and sharing it with us here. Hoping you can get a bigger "light bucket" and connect the most sensitive detectors to continue making this kind of important measurement.
By the way, is this recently more popular search for exoplanets in any way motivated by the hope "we are not alone"?

Bobbywhy said:
Congratulations on doing real astronomy and sharing it with us here. Hoping you can get a bigger "light bucket" and connect the most sensitive detectors to continue making this kind of important measurement.

Thanks!

By the way, is this recently more popular search for exoplanets in any way motivated by the hope "we are not alone"?

No idea. I don't think my motivation is due to that hope. But I can't speak for anyone else.

Maybe Drakkith gets lucky and plots a stepped light curve indicating a large moon, or rings, or a binary planet (or whatever it was they said would do that, LOL)

BTW, when they mentioned the stellar light fluxes they are measuring are unexpectedly noisier than expected, besides longer integration times, is there anything else that would mitigate the problem?

Like big light buckets, or separate light buckets recording the same transits, or maybe several scopes in a specific geometric configuration , or maybe blue or red filters to emphasize the portions of the spectra that are more stable ??

tasp77 said:
Maybe Drakkith gets lucky and plots a stepped light curve indicating a large moon, or rings, or a binary planet (or whatever it was they said would do that, LOL)

BTW, when they mentioned the stellar light fluxes they are measuring are unexpectedly noisier than expected, besides longer integration times, is there anything else that would mitigate the problem?

Like big light buckets, or separate light buckets recording the same transits, or maybe several scopes in a specific geometric configuration , or maybe blue or red filters to emphasize the portions of the spectra that are more stable ??

Who is "they"?

Gilliland, Ronald L.; et al. (2011). "Kepler Mission Stellar and Instrument Noise Properties"

UMSF has had several postings on the unexpected variability of the stars in the Kepler mission survey. It's a fascinating finding. Serendipity strikes again.

The effect was also noted in the Subaru Telescopes images for the Ice Hunters project, which I participated in.

Not sure what can be done about the stellar variation. If it's different in different colors then yes I suppose you could use filters, but that would drastically cut down on your light and decrease your signal to noise ratio, leading to worse precision.

Bobbywhy said:
I think the main motivation is the possibility to detect more and more of them.
The search for earth-like planets is a really interesting thing, too, of course.

Related to Transiting Exoplanet Light Curve

1. What is a transiting exoplanet light curve?

A transiting exoplanet light curve is a graphical representation of the change in brightness of a star as a planet passes in front of it. This phenomenon is known as a transit and is used to detect and study exoplanets.

2. How is a transiting exoplanet light curve created?

A transiting exoplanet light curve is created by measuring the brightness of a star over a period of time using a telescope. As the planet passes in front of the star, the brightness of the star decreases, creating a dip in the light curve. By analyzing the depth and duration of these dips, scientists can gather information about the size, orbit, and atmosphere of the exoplanet.

3. What can we learn from a transiting exoplanet light curve?

A transiting exoplanet light curve can provide valuable information about the characteristics of an exoplanet, such as its size, orbit, and atmosphere. By studying the shape and duration of the dips in the light curve, scientists can also determine the presence of other objects, such as moons or rings, orbiting the exoplanet.

4. What is the significance of studying transiting exoplanet light curves?

Studying transiting exoplanet light curves allows scientists to detect and study exoplanets, which are planets outside of our solar system. This can help us understand the diversity of planetary systems and provide insight into the formation and evolution of planets. It can also help us identify potentially habitable exoplanets, which could potentially support extraterrestrial life.

5. How are transiting exoplanet light curves used in the search for extraterrestrial life?

Transiting exoplanet light curves are used to identify potentially habitable exoplanets, which could be candidates for hosting extraterrestrial life. By studying the light curve, scientists can determine if the exoplanet has a suitable atmosphere and if it is located in the habitable zone of its star, where liquid water could exist on its surface. This information can help guide future missions and research in the search for extraterrestrial life.