Transitive closure of a relation

In summary, we were tasked with proving that the transitive closure of a relation R is equal to the sequence R^{+} defined as R^{i+1} = R^i \cup \{(s,u) \vert \exists t, (s,t) \in R^i, (t,u) \in R^i \}. We first showed that R is a subset of R^{+} and then we showed that R^{+} is transitive by assuming xR^{+}y and yR^{+}z and showing that this implies xR^{+}z through the use of the transitive property. We then proved by induction that R^{+} is the smallest transitive relation containing
icantadd

Homework Statement

Let R be a relation and define the following sequence
[tex] R^0 = R [/tex]
[tex] R^{i+1} = R^i \cup \{(s,u) \vert \exists t, (s,t) \in R^i, (t,u) \in R^i \} [/tex]
And
[tex] R^{+} = \bigcup_{i} R_i [/tex]
Prove that [tex] R^{+} [/tex] is the transitive closure.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1)
[tex] R = R_0 \subset R^{+} [/tex]

2) show transitive
Assume [tex] xR^{+}y,yR^{+}z[/tex] Then there is a
k, such [tex] \exists u, xR^{k}u, uR^{k}y [/tex], and
l, such [tex] \exists w, yR^{l}w, wR^{l}z [/tex]
Therefore [tex] \exists m \geq k+l, xR^{k+l}z [/tex], because ??
I don't know why I think this is the way to go, and I don't know how to finish this part of the proof. I will continue on. Please suggestions here??

3) show smallest transitive relation (by induction)
Let T be any other transitive relation containing R.
(I) [tex] R^0 = R \subset T [/tex]
(II) Assume [tex] R^n \subset T [/tex] and let [tex]xR{n+1}y[/tex]. Then there is a z, such that
[tex] (x,y) \in R^n \cup \{(x,y) \vert (x,z) \in R^n, (z,y) \in R^m \} [/tex]
Now if [tex] (x,y) \in R^n [/tex] then we are done. Assume [tex] (x,y) \in \{(x,y) \vert (x,z) \in R^n, (z,y) \in R^m \} [/tex]. Then because [tex] R^n \in T [/tex] , then [tex] (x,z) \in T, (z,y) \in T [/tex]. Then because T is transitive (x,y) is in T.
?Is my last statement here correct?

Therefore [tex] R^n \subset T [/tex]

Any help on the above two questions would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi icantadd! :smile:
icantadd said:
2) show transitive
Assume [tex] xR^{+}y,yR^{+}z[/tex] Then there is a
k, such [tex] \exists u, xR^{k}u, uR^{k}y [/tex], and
l, such [tex] \exists w, yR^{l}w, wR^{l}z [/tex]

Try it with k = l. :wink:

Do you mean max{k,l}?
I got credit for changing my answer to that. Meaning I had the answer right. I seem to have trouble in this area, a lot of times, I know that something is working, but I don't know how to justify it to myself. For example, with this problem I can look at it, and say "yes, that is obvious" and write a proof that is technically right, but then I look back at it and I don't know why. Why does that answer work? Because you are guaranteeing recursively that the relation is transitive one step at a time. So then I realize my question is okay, how do you know you are making the relation transitive one step at a time? And to that I simply answer, "because it is" and that just isn't good enough for me.

How do I correctly state what I am thinking on this problem, what is it that makes this work?

icantadd said:
… How do I correctly state what I am thinking on this problem, what is it that makes this work?

mmm … all I can suggest is that, in a problem like this, you start by translating the definition into words before you do anything else

in this case, stare at the definition until you satisfy yourself that Rn is the "pairs of people with 2n degrees of connection" … that is, Bud know Fred knows … … … Ginger knows Lou (with 2n names)

then you can safely predict what will happen, and translate it back into symbols :smile:

Then (somewhat removed from the original question) it is appropriate to say something like,
at R^n for any (a,b) there is a set[tex] \{(a,a_1) (a_1,a_2) , ... , (a_{n-1},b)\} [/tex]whose size is at most n.

Back to the problem:
At any rate, if i take m = max {k,l}, then clearly we have
[tex]xR^{m}y[/tex] and also [tex] yR{m}z[/tex], and therefore in [tex]R^{m+1}[/tex] we will have [tex] xR^{m+1}z[/tex]. I think I am getting it. Thank you!

icantadd said:
At any rate, if i take m = max {k,l}, then clearly we have
[tex]xR^{m}y[/tex] and also [tex] yR{m}z[/tex], and therefore in [tex]R^{m+1}[/tex] we will have [tex] xR^{m+1}z[/tex]. I think I am getting it. Thank you!

Yes, that's exactly right! :biggrin:

Related to Transitive closure of a relation

What is the definition of transitive closure of a relation?

The transitive closure of a relation is the smallest transitive relation that includes all the pairs of elements from the original relation. In simpler terms, it is the process of adding all possible indirect connections between pairs of elements in a relation.

Why is transitive closure important in mathematics and computer science?

Transitive closure is important because it allows us to determine all the possible indirect connections or paths between elements in a relation. This can be useful in various applications such as graph theory, database design, and analyzing the properties of a relation.

How is transitive closure calculated?

Transitive closure can be calculated using different algorithms such as Warshall's algorithm, Floyd-Warshall algorithm, or the breadth-first search algorithm. These algorithms use a combination of matrix operations and graph traversal techniques to find all the indirect connections in a relation.

What is the difference between transitive closure and reflexive closure?

The transitive closure of a relation adds all the indirect connections between elements, while the reflexive closure adds all the self-connections or loops. In other words, transitive closure focuses on the relationships between elements, while reflexive closure focuses on the elements themselves.

Can transitive closure be applied to non-binary relations?

Yes, transitive closure can be applied to non-binary relations, where each element can have more than two connections. This is known as the transitive hull, where the resulting relation will have all the possible combinations of indirect connections between elements.