Translate change of length to force in hanging chain problem

In summary, you are trying to create a script that calculates the force on a cloth simulation. You are using the next_x and next_y values to calculate the force on each link. You are also using the vertex.co value to calculate the force.
cm85
I'm trying to write a simple script in blender python in order to show load deflection in cloth simulation. My question is: Is it possible to translate the change of length (distance between two nodes), into a force? (Newton between those nodes)?

In addition you will find a minimal example. The chain is created with blender-cloth. Let's assume that each node is dragged down by gravity with 100 Newton. This are 900 Newton overall, right? How would the distribution of force look like? (I'm no structural engineer) There is a correlation between movement and force, even if we would assume same link-strength for everything, isn't it? I'm interested in normal-force only. I could also work with the velocity of links also.

Thank's in advance!

Attachments

• chain.png
    chain.png
    41.2 KB · Views: 396
Physics news on Phys.org
cm85 said:
There is a correlation between movement and force
Acceleration and force.

cm85 said:
I'm interested in normal-force only.
What's normal force here? The vertical tension force components must balance gravity in the static case.

Likes cm85
Thank you very much for your fast reply.

Maybe i have made a wrong approach from the beginning on. Here is another way from scratch based on various processing-sketechs. It's a simple particle simulation which is adding a value to the z-coordinate of each particle as well as the velocity of the next neighbors. It is based on a pseudo-code i have found and a lot of trial and error. I don't know if this is correct or not.

The import section is this one:

# force of links
v_1 = self.next_1.vertex.co - self.vertex.co
strength = (v_1.length - link_length) * link_strength
v_1 = v_1 * strength

v_2 = self.next_2.vertex.co - self.vertex.co
strength = (v_2.length - link_length) * link_strength
v_2 = v_2 * strength

self.vertex.co = self.vertex.co + v_1 + v_2

How could i sum up the forces in order to get the force of each link?

Attachments

• chain.blend.zip
    75.5 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:

Related to Translate change of length to force in hanging chain problem

1. How do you translate change of length to force in a hanging chain problem?

In order to translate change of length to force in a hanging chain problem, you must first understand the concept of tension. Tension is the force applied by a string, rope, or chain when it is pulled tight. In a hanging chain problem, the weight of the chain creates a tension force that is transmitted throughout the chain. This tension force is what causes the chain to hang in a specific shape. By measuring the change in length of the hanging chain, you can calculate the magnitude of the tension force using the formula F = mg, where m is the mass of the chain and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. What factors affect the change of length in a hanging chain problem?

The change of length in a hanging chain problem is affected by several factors, including the weight and length of the chain, the angle at which it is hung, and any external forces acting on the chain. The weight of the chain will determine the magnitude of the tension force, while the length of the chain will affect the distribution of that force. The angle at which the chain is hung will also impact the tension force, as the steeper the angle, the greater the tension force. Lastly, any external forces, such as wind or additional weight added to the chain, will also influence the change in length of the hanging chain.

3. How does the change of length relate to the force in a hanging chain problem?

The change of length in a hanging chain problem is directly related to the tension force acting on the chain. As the tension force increases, the chain will stretch and the change in length will also increase. This is because the tension force is what is causing the chain to hang in a specific shape. Therefore, by measuring the change in length of the chain, you can calculate the magnitude of the tension force using the formula F = mg.

4. What units are used to measure change of length and force in a hanging chain problem?

The change of length in a hanging chain problem is typically measured in meters (m) or centimeters (cm). The force in this problem is measured in Newtons (N), which is a unit of measurement for force. However, depending on the specific problem, other units may also be used, such as kilograms (kg) for mass and meters per second squared (m/s^2) for acceleration due to gravity.

5. Can you use other methods besides measuring change of length to calculate the force in a hanging chain problem?

Yes, there are other methods that can be used to calculate the force in a hanging chain problem. One method is to use the principle of equilibrium, which states that the forces acting on an object must be balanced for it to be in a state of rest or constant motion. By analyzing the forces acting on the hanging chain, such as the weight of the chain and the tension force, you can use the principle of equilibrium to calculate the magnitude of the tension force. Another method is to use the concept of work and energy, where the work done by the tension force is equal to the change in kinetic energy of the chain. However, measuring the change of length is the most straightforward and commonly used method to calculate the force in a hanging chain problem.